Why Are PIC Ports Configured as Inputs on Startup?

  • Thread starter Thread starter android5555
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
android5555
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
1. What is the default I/O configuration of all PIC ports at program computer system start-up? Why are microcontrollers designed with this standard default configuration?


3. I think all the ports are set to input to start with and then changed accordingly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, but haven't answered the second part of the question. Why are they designed that way?

As this is in the homework section you should have a go at it first.
 
I cannot find the answer anywhere. If I knew the second part of this question I would not have even posted it.
 
Lets say you were using one of the port pins to monitor the status of a 5V power supply rail or battery. eg I've got one of the port pins connected directly to this 5V power supply. Consider what happens if the pic powers up with that pin configured as an output?