Why are teenage boys so disgusting?

• Thread starter Richard87
  • Start date
In summary: TV was on "The Jerry Springer Show." Wow, wow, wow. That is a human wasteland.But now I know what those folks were like in high school! Those knuckle-draggers (on the show and in the audience) were definitely the same ones who shout out like this, as a pass time!The thing is, though, that this sort of thing doesn't really belong in a formal setting like a doctor's office. It's just a waste of time and energy and it's really not appropriate for people who are there to get medical care.Some people bring their young children and siblings to those sporting events. I wouldn
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a thought. It might not be a good one, but I did think it, and so it is technically a thought. It exists, if anything can be said to exist. OK, maybe you are getting bored with this boring blather. Now to the aforementioned thought.

Have we ever considered the idea of sending boys and girls to separate schools, each catering to their separate needs?

Of course, if this were any other forum, I would brace for the cry of "sexist".

If you think about it, in general, middle school boys can't stand middle school girls, and vice versa. Of course, this changes in high school. But has anyone modern entertained this notion, and if so, does it work?

Char. Limit said:
I have a thought. It might not be a good one, but I did think it, and so it is technically a thought. It exists, if anything can be said to exist. OK, maybe you are getting bored with this boring blather. Now to the aforementioned thought.

Have we ever considered the idea of sending boys and girls to separate schools, each catering to their separate needs?

Of course, if this were any other forum, I would brace for the cry of "sexist".

If you think about it, in general, middle school boys can't stand middle school girls, and vice versa. Of course, this changes in high school. But has anyone modern entertained this notion, and if so, does it work?

Personally I think this is a great idea. I read that they're trying this somewhere (I'm too lazy to google where I found it haha) and the biggest difference is seen in the boys - they do much better in all-male classrooms.

I don't think the entire schools would have to be separated by gender, just class time.

Its been around though mostly in private schools.

Article on current trend in single gender class rooms.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/14/AR2008061401869.html

Here is an Op Ed criticism of gender separation in school.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-03-28-oppose_x.htm
She has some good points. Her assertion that boys schools and programs always receive more money is probably based primarily on sports programs though it is still valid. I also agree that the primary differences in learning are likely cultural bias as opposed to an elementary difference.

Two quotes, one from each article:

Kim Gandy said:
Supporters of separation argue, without proof, that boys and girls are so different that they must be tought differently. But studies show that gender differences are relatively small and becoming smaller. For example, the degree of overlap in girls' and boys' math skills was computed at between 98% and 99%, while in verbal skills the overlap was 96%.

Please don't say the other side needs proof, then give me these large and uncited numbers without explanation. It makes me wonder.

Washington Post said:
The school has no test data yet by which to judge the experiment, but Howard noted that grades for children in same-sex classes improved in many subjects. A parent survey found that almost half the boys and almost two-thirds of the girls in the classes had better attitudes toward school.

You are using one man's statement as a reliable source?

Personally, the word I hate most in the second article is "segregation". Seriously, we aren't trying for anything like Plessy.

Also, I'm not inclined to believe an article about women being cheated if the author is the president of NOW. If women aren't cheated, she's out of a job, after all.

DaveC426913 said:
It's pretty straightforward: children have a far higher chance of surviving to adulthood today than at any other time in history. And they will be much healthier, and they will live longer.

I agree, but... look around :yuck:

Borek said:
I agree, but... look around :yuck:

Yes, with hightened awareness of our surroundings and... friends... comes :yuck: ... it's unavaoidable! :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlYZbvmgx8E

I think this sums up the entire thread.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlYZbvmgx8E

It didn't show up properly because you're only supposed to paste the final letters and numbers in the link between the the [ youtube ] codes. In this instance, only KlYZbvmgx8E was inserted between the codes.

You know, like [yоutube]KlYZbvmgx8E[/yоutube] :biggrin:

It sums up things pretty well.