Why are there 3 roots to a cubic equation?

In summary, The number of answers to a cubic equation depends on the degree of the polynomial and can be determined using the euclidean algorithm for polynomials. In the case of cubic equations, there are only 3 roots because any cubic polynomial can be written as the product of 3 linear terms. Additionally, the conjugates of the roots will only add 3 more solutions, bringing the total to 6.
okkvlt
I find complex numbers very fascinating. But i don't understand something.
Why does a cubic equation have 3 answers instead of 6?

I know that there are 3 cube roots of a complex number, and the imaginary part of the complex number can be either positive or negative, so there should be 6 answers. Actually, if each side of the formula was independent of the other, there would be 3*4=12 answers.

I tried reading an article on the internet about galois theory, but it used a lot of jargon about fields and groups that i didnt understand.

Could somebody explain to me why there are only 3 roots, without all the jargon?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is nought to do with Galois theory.

What you've written implies that you think that a+ib and a-ib cube to give the same number. That is clearly not true: just try it.

All you need to use is the euclidean algorithm for polynomials: if I have a polynomial f(x) and f(a)=0, then I can write f(x)=(x-a)g(x) where the degree of g(x) is one less than the degree of f(x).

Finally, why have you chosen cubic equations? Do you accept that quadratics have two roots, and if so why have you accepted that without question?

okkvlt said:
I find complex numbers very fascinating. But i don't understand something.
Why does a cubic equation have 3 answers instead of 6?

I know that there are 3 cube roots of a complex number, and the imaginary part of the complex number can be either positive or negative, so there should be 6 answers.
NO. "the imaginary part of the complex number can be either positive or negative" is true only for square roots of real numbers.

Actually, if each side of the formula was independent of the other, there would be 3*4=12 answers.

I tried reading an article on the internet about galois theory, but it used a lot of jargon about fields and groups that i didnt understand.

Could somebody explain to me why there are only 3 roots, without all the jargon?
In the complex numbers any nth degree polynomial can be written as the product of exactly n linear terms. In particular, any cubic polynomial can be written as the product of 3 linear terms. Setting each term equal to 0 will give at most 3 distince solutions.

conjugates of roots to a real cubic

okkvlt said:
I know that there are 3 cube roots of a complex number, and the imaginary part of the complex number can be either positive or negative, so there should be 6 answers.

Hi okkvlt! :smile:

You're obviously thinking that the conjugate of a real cubic equation is itself, and therefore the conjugates of its roots must also be roots.

That's correct! :smile:

But that doesn't mean that there are 6 answers … one root of a real cubic equation will always be real, and the other two will be conjugates of each other (whether real or not) …

so including the conjugates still leaves the total as three! :smile:

1. Why are there 3 roots to a cubic equation?

The fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has n complex roots. Since a cubic equation has a degree of 3, it will have 3 complex roots.

2. How do you find the 3 roots of a cubic equation?

One method is to use the cubic formula, which is a complex formula that can be used to find all 3 roots. Another method is to use synthetic division or long division to factor the equation and find the roots.

3. Can a cubic equation have more or less than 3 roots?

No, a cubic equation will always have 3 roots, whether they are real or complex. However, some of the roots may be repeated or imaginary.

4. Why is it important to know the roots of a cubic equation?

The roots of a cubic equation represent the x-intercepts of the graph of the equation. This information is useful in solving real-world problems and understanding the behavior of the equation.

5. Are there any real-life applications of cubic equations with 3 roots?

Yes, cubic equations with 3 roots have many applications in science and engineering, such as in modeling population growth or analyzing the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.