Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are X-rays absorbed in the atmosphere.

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    X-ray observations of outer space are usually made from orbiting platforms. Yet radio and optical astronomy seems to work pretty well.

I got to thinking that it seems odd for the highest energy electromagnetic radiation to be so well blocked by earth's atmosphere...I would have thought: more energy the more radiation gets thru...but apparently not.

Seems like the highest energy radiation (X-rays,gamma rays, and some UV) from space are blocked in the upper atmosphere protecting us from genetic damage; I would have thought it would take more dense atmosphere to block the most energetic radiation; again, apparently not:

There is a nice diagram here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_opacity.svg

What's the mechanism(s) that accounts for this absorption?? Is it the upper atmosphere that also blocks high energy radiation emitted from earth??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    Photoelectric absorption, compton, pair production - the total extinction cross section for high-energy photons is large enough that the atmosphere is optically thick even though it's relatively low-density, because it's so deep. Lucky us. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook