1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why are X-rays absorbed in the atmosphere.

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    X-ray observations of outer space are usually made from orbiting platforms. Yet radio and optical astronomy seems to work pretty well.

I got to thinking that it seems odd for the highest energy electromagnetic radiation to be so well blocked by earth's atmosphere...I would have thought: more energy the more radiation gets thru...but apparently not.

Seems like the highest energy radiation (X-rays,gamma rays, and some UV) from space are blocked in the upper atmosphere protecting us from genetic damage; I would have thought it would take more dense atmosphere to block the most energetic radiation; again, apparently not:

There is a nice diagram here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_opacity.svg

What's the mechanism(s) that accounts for this absorption?? Is it the upper atmosphere that also blocks high energy radiation emitted from earth??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    Photoelectric absorption, compton, pair production - the total extinction cross section for high-energy photons is large enough that the atmosphere is optically thick even though it's relatively low-density, because it's so deep. Lucky us. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook