Why aren't we on maverick branches?

• I
  • Thread starter Quantumental
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of decision theory and its application in the context of the Many-Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. The participants discuss the concept of "maverick branches" and the measure problem, and ultimately conclude that the decision theory approach, based on basis independence, is the most logical and consistent approach. The paper mentioned in the conversation has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, leading to some doubts about its validity.
Quantumental
This one is dedicated to my dear Everettians: http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.08881

What is interesting to me is that Stephen Hsu has previously been a very outspoken proponent of Everett.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantumental said:
This one is dedicated to my dear Everettians:

Why you are stuck on this decision theory stuff in MW has me beat.

Its simply an elegance thing to derive it in the formalism rather than assume it.

You can assume its true and MW doesn't change at all.

That's without delving into this supposed disproof of the decision theory approach - once can still use Gleason. And having studied Wallace's book that's what it amounts to anyway - showing non contextuality which implies the Born Rule via Gleason.

From the paper:
Everett defined maverick branches of the state vector as those on which the usual Born probability rule fails to hold -- these branches exhibit highly improbable behaviors,

If the Born Rule fails to hold you have disproved QM. Since MW is deliberately cooked up to be equivalent to the QM formalism that's not logically possible.

Added Later
After a bit of investigation it turns out maverick branches are branches with a very small probability - not violating the Born Rule - which of course it cant.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Reading a bit more of the paper I came across this little gem:
'In the previous section we illustrated the drastic differences resulting from two choices of measure: the counting distinct histories measure vs the Hilbert (norm-squared) measure. The former leads to predominance of maverick branches, the latter to the usual quantum mechanics and the Born rule. Obviously, there is an infinite set of possible measures over the space of state vectors. Yet, there is not even a natural place in the theory to impose a measure. Everett claimed (erroneously) that the Hilbert measure emerges naturally, but in fact the measure problem remains unsolved.'

The measure problem was resolved by Andrew Gleason:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_M._Gleason

His famous theorem shows that there is only one measure that is basis independent - the Born Rule. If you have any others its not basis independent and is very strange in a theory based only on vector spaces - one of key things about vector spaces is its properties are basis independent. BM for example introduces the quantum potential which means its more than vector spaces - but such is not the case in MW. The counting of distinct histories is not basis independent and if you use it you run into issues. This is examined closely on page 189 of Wallace's book (The Emergent Multiverse) where a number of alternative strategies such as naive counting are looked at. They all have issues. In fact that's what the decision theory approach is all about - only basis independence makes sense.

I think the author needs to understand QM a bit better.

Thanks
Bill

As far as I can see, the paper mentioned in the OP has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, so it is a not proper for discussion on PF. If I am mistaken, please PM me with the reference.

Until then, thread closed.

Why aren't we on maverick branches?

1. What are "maverick branches" and why is it important?

Maverick branches refer to newer, experimental versions of a software or codebase that are not yet considered stable or fully tested. It is important because it allows developers to work on new features or bug fixes without affecting the current stable version.

2. Why is it taking so long for us to switch to maverick branches?

Switching to maverick branches requires thorough testing and validation to ensure that the new version is stable and does not introduce any major issues. This process may take some time, depending on the complexity of the codebase.

3. Will switching to maverick branches affect our current work or projects?

Switching to maverick branches may introduce changes or updates that could potentially affect the current work or projects. This is why thorough testing and validation is necessary before making the switch.

4. What are the potential benefits of switching to maverick branches?

Switching to maverick branches allows for the implementation of new features or bug fixes that can improve the overall performance and functionality of the software. It also allows for the identification and resolution of any existing issues or bugs in the current stable version.

5. Is it necessary for us to switch to maverick branches?

It depends on the specific needs and goals of the project. If there are critical bug fixes or new features that need to be implemented, switching to maverick branches may be necessary. However, if the current stable version is functioning well, there may not be a need to switch to maverick branches at the moment.