Better Textbook than Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses different opinions on the book Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering. While some people recommend it as an introductory text, others have found it to be confusing and not well-explained. The suggestion of using Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering by J. Kenneth Shultis is offered as a clearer alternative. However, it is noted that Lamarsh's book is not necessarily a bad choice.
pierce15
I browsed this forum a while ago and saw that several people recommend Lamarsh's Introduction to Nuclear Engineering as an intro to this field. I have read about half of this book and really don't like it. Some of the equations are derived in confusing/roundabout ways. For example, many formulas are derived which only work with particular units plugged in. Other times, unnecessary equations are added in derivations. I am wondering if anyone has a similar experience and if they can recommend a textbook more clear in explaining things (for example, Griffiths's physics textbooks).

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering by J. Kenneth Shultis is a good option, and its not very confusing. But I should add that Lamarsh is not that bad.

1. What makes a textbook better than Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering?

A better textbook than Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering would have more up-to-date information, more comprehensive coverage of topics, clearer explanations and diagrams, and more relevant examples and problems.

2. Is there a specific textbook that is considered better than Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering?

There is no one definitive "better" textbook for Nuclear Engineering. Different textbooks may have strengths in different areas and may be better suited to different learning styles.

3. Can you recommend a textbook that is more user-friendly than Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering?

Some popular alternatives to Lamarsh for Nuclear Engineering include Introduction to Nuclear Engineering by John R. Lamarsh and Anthony J. Baratta, Nuclear Reactor Analysis by James J. Duderstadt and Louis J. Hamilton, and Nuclear Systems Volume I: Thermal Hydraulic Fundamentals by Neil E. Todreas and Mujid S. Kazimi.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook for Nuclear Engineering?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a textbook for Nuclear Engineering. Some popular ones include online lectures and tutorials, interactive simulations and animations, and practice problems and quizzes.

5. How can I determine which textbook is best for me as a student of Nuclear Engineering?

As a student of Nuclear Engineering, you should consider your learning style, the course requirements, and your personal preferences when selecting a textbook. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare the content and format of different textbooks before making a decision.