Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Why can't I use contour integration for this integral?

1. Dec 16, 2016 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Consider the integral ##\displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{-|x|}}{1+x^2}dx ##. I should be able to use contour integration to solve it because it vanishes faster than ## \frac 1 x ## in the limit ## x \to \infty ## in the upper half plane. It has two poles at i and -i. If I use a semicircle in the upper half of the plane, I should only consider the residue at i which is:

## \displaystyle \lim_{z\to i} \frac{e^{-|z|}}{i+z}=\frac{e^{-|i|}}{2i}=\frac{1}{2ie} ##

So the integral is equal to ## \frac{2\pi i}{2ie}=\frac \pi e \approx 1.15 ##. But wolframalpha.com gives an expression involving Ci(x) and Si(x) that approximates to 1.24. What is wrong here?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks to me Wolfram is doing some numerical integration. When I do a primitive numerical integration with excel I get about the same answers they do.
    Your answer is correct

(How did you get this Ci and Si answer from wolfie ?)

4. Dec 16, 2016 #3

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know off the bat how to derive the right answer, but contour integration by using residues only works for analytic functions, and the use of an absolute value, [itex]|x|[/itex], makes your integrand non-analytic.

5. Dec 16, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That link is for the integrand [itex]\dfrac{e^{itz}}{1+z^2}[/itex], not [itex]\dfrac{e^{-|z|}}{1+z^2}[/itex]

6. Dec 16, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I missed that completely. o:) o:) o:) though to be smart and use ##t=i##

(For the numerics looked at ##[0,\infty>##)

Changed your avatar, didn't you ? Less colorful but more cultural !

7. Dec 16, 2016 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted