Why Can't I Use Standard Cosine Calculations for Non-Orthogonal Axes Forces?

  • Thread starter Thread starter goldfish9776
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axes Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
goldfish9776
Messages
310
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


in this question , why can't i find Fu = 600cos 30= 520N ?
why can't I find Fv = 600cos 120 = -300N ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Fu = 600cos 30= 520N ?Fv = 600cos 120 = -300N ?
[/B]
 
Attachments
  • DSC_0348 (2).JPG
    DSC_0348 (2).JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
goldfish9776 said:

Homework Statement


in this question , why can't i find Fu = 600cos 30= 520N ?
why can't I find Fv = 600cos 120 = -300N ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Fu = 600cos 30= 520N ?Fv = 600cos 120 = -300N ?[/B]
Well, for one thing, it appears that Fu and Fv are not the sides of a right triangle. It's hard to tell from the attached image.

For solving oblique triangles, the law of sines or the law of cosines must be used. For more information, see the article below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution_of_triangles
 
SteamKing said:
Well, for one thing, it appears that Fu and Fv are not the sides of a right triangle. It's hard to tell from the attached image.
Why can't I do in this way?

For solving oblique triangles, the law of sines or the law of cosines must be used. For more information, see the article below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution_of_triangles
 
SteamKing said:
Well, for one thing, it appears that Fu and Fv are not the sides of a right triangle. It's hard to tell from the attached image.

For solving oblique triangles, the law of sines or the law of cosines must be used. For more information, see the article below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution_of_triangles
Why can't I do in this way??
 
goldfish9776 said:
Why can't I do in this way??
As has already been explained, the forces Fu and Fv are not the sides of a right triangle.

The triangle which contains Fu and Fv has angles of 120°, 30°, and 30°. Do you see any right angles there?

Haven't you learned the difference yet between an oblique triangle and a right triangle?

The solution in your text clearly shows the use of the Law of Sines.

Please study the material I linked to previously. If you have any questions about that, I will be happy to answer them.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: goldfish9776
goldfish9776 said:
Why can't I do in this way??
As was mentioned already, The u and v axes are not orthogonal (do not meet at a right angle). So you can't treat them as if they do.

If the using the laws of sines or cosines is throwing you off, you could approach the problem as two equations in two unknowns.

Fig1.png


Suppose that Fu and Fv are two vectors with the given directions and you need to find Fu and Fv such that they sum to a 600 N horizontal resultant. Impose axes x-y on the image such that the x-axis coincides with the horizontal 600 N force. Then write equations summing the x and y components of Fu and Fv accordingly.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: goldfish9776