Power of a Force: Find Power from Fv in 3s

I will try to pay more attention to my equations.In summary, the given force of 2i + 5j moving from (2,5) to (4,7) in 3 seconds has a power of 5.077 W. However, after corrections, the actual power is 4.66 W, calculated using the equation P = |F| * |v| * cos(θ) where θ is the angle between the force and velocity vectors.
hendrix7

Homework Statement

A force of 2i + 5j moves from (2,5) to (4,7) in 3 seconds. Find the power of the force.

Homework Equations

Power = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

|F| = sqrt 29
v = (sqrt 8)/3
Power = 5.077 w

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write the velocity as a vector and take the dot product of F and v.

B
hendrix7 said:

Homework Statement

A force of 2i + 5j moves from (2,5) to (4,7) in 3 seconds. Find the power of the force.

Homework Equations

Power = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

|F| = sqrt 29
v = (sqrt 8)/3
Power = 5.077 w
But i am getting 4.66

hendrix7 said:
Power = Fv
As @phyzguy points out, that equation is not correct. In vectors, ##P=\vec F.\vec v=|\vec F| |\vec v| \cos(\theta)##, where θ is the angle between the vectors.

Likes Delta2
Thank you guys for putting me straight.

1. What is the formula for finding power from force and velocity in 3 seconds?

The formula for finding power from force (F) and velocity (v) in 3 seconds is P = Fv/3.

2. How do I calculate the power of a force if I only know the force and time?

If you only know the force (F) and time (t) in seconds, you can calculate the power (P) by using the formula P = F/t. This formula assumes that the force is constant over the given time period.

3. Can I use this formula to find power in other units besides seconds?

Yes, as long as the units for force and velocity are consistent, you can use this formula to find power in any time unit (e.g. minutes, hours, etc.). Just make sure to convert the time units accordingly.

4. How does power relate to force and velocity?

Power is the rate at which work is done, or energy is transferred. It is directly proportional to both force and velocity, meaning that an increase in either force or velocity will result in an increase in power.

5. What are some real-life applications of this formula?

This formula can be used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the power output of a car engine, determining the power generated by a wind turbine, or finding the power of a weightlifter based on the force and velocity of their movements.