Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't they track number stations?

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    Or why don't they?

All the mystique around them I would have thought even amateur's would do it for fun.

What/why are they still a mystery?

Or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is a number station?

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3
    Cant do links but put in YouTube and listen to some. Basically coded RF broadcasts presumably spies that started in the cold war, mostly repetitive. They slowed down a bit after the cold war but very many have never stopped.

I think there are new ones now. Better than the internet because the internet is point to point, easy to locate and monitor.

These stations only need a commercial receiver, everyone and anyone can listen from almost anywhere, perfectly hidden in plain sight.

Of course only the intended receiver knows the presumably once only key code.
    Lots of amateur sites publish the frequencies, just google it. Thousands of transmissions are recorded and you can listen to them.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The NSA is pretty capable, and very secretive. What evidence do you have that NSA can not track them if they want to?

6. Nov 12, 2015 #5
    Well govs tend to deny they e ist, even when yoygive them instructions, I asked my fed authority re ham licences and they didn't say much of value.

7. Nov 12, 2015 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there any science or engineering in your question?

8. Nov 12, 2015 #7
    Yes is there any technical reason why the transmitters have not been exposed by amateurs already.

Seems like a retirement project to do.

9. Nov 12, 2015 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

10. Nov 12, 2015 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

probably cuz we are not interested and don't care about them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook