Why do children always want to pee at the most inconvenient times?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, children naturally want to pee when they're in a new environment and they need to go when their bladder tells their brain that they are full. This is why they need to go at the most inconvenient times, because even when the parents remember to chase them off to the bathroom before they leave, the kids manage to get distracted and forget to actually pee.
flyingpig
I was on the bus today and this girl wanted to pee, but her dad already had his hands full and he looked so troubled because I think he also didn't want her to hold it in. He got off the bus (after he paid too) to take the girl to look for a washroom.

I remember when I was a child and I had the same situation, I always needed pee when we are in the car or when we left the public mall.

Why do children do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in the job description - annoy adults whenever possible.

Smaller bladders plus drinking too much soda?

It is love blackmail, just like their evil-angelic, adorable looks makes us do anything to keep them happy.

It is called natural selection. :-(

They probably want attention, too.

Learning to plan ahead is a long way down the road for most kids. Action and consequence takes a long time also.

And they have small bladders compared to adults, so adults also tend to overestimate how long to wait before reminding the kid to use the restroom and overestimate how much the little ones can drink before having to go.

And of course, it is punishment for the parents doing the same thing to their parents when they were kids! :uhh:

flyingpig said:
I was on the bus today and this girl wanted to pee, but her dad already had his hands full and he looked so troubled because I think he also didn't want her to hold it in. He got off the bus (after he paid too) to take the girl to look for a washroom.

I remember when I was a child and I had the same situation, I always needed pee when we are in the car or when we left the public mall.

Why do children do that?

It's important to distinguish between "wanting" and "needing."

[Opinions]

Case 1: A child wants to pee when they're in a new environment and have never seen its bathroom before.

Case 2: A child needs to pee when their bladder tells their brain, "I'm full."

Case 1 (and its many variations) are typically driven by curiosity and might not be completely legitimate. Case 2 isn't really something they're able to control.

[/Opinions]

Dembadon said:
Case 1: A child wants to pee when they're in a new environment and have never seen its bathroom before.

I can't believe this is on the forefront of many children's minds

Office_Shredder said:
I can't believe this is on the forefront of many children's minds

I can remember it being a factor for me when I was little.

I also remember taking my younger siblings to the bathroom only to watch them sit on the toilet and gawk at everything in the bathroom without ever actually "going."

Last edited:
Because they always have small bladders and drink soda pop or other diuretics.

Kids are the product of Satan

Pengwuino said:
Kids are the product of Satan

And coitus.

Dembadon said:
I can remember it being a factor for me when I was little.

I also remember taking my younger siblings to the bathroom only to watch them sit on the toilet and gawk at everything in the bathroom without ever actually "going."

This is why they need to go at the most inconvenient times, because even when the parents remember to chase them off to the bathroom before they leave, the kids manage to get distracted and forget to actually pee. After they get back in the car, they realize they forgot and now NEED to go.

The feeling of warm pool water just makes it come naturally

My niece and my neighbors' young grand-daughters always seem to need to "go" when they are here. Part of the "need" to go is fascination with the toilet that I replaced our old one with. It is a dual-flow American Standard model. There is no lever on the tank. Instead there are two chromed metallic buttons in the top of the lid. One button has 3 raised (braille-like) protrusions on it and is for the smaller flush-volume, and the other button has 9 protrusions and is for when you need a heavier flush volume. Our old toilet crapped out :biggrin: and since we have a private septic system AND a drilled well, it is best to save water if possible.

All three of the girls are pretty fascinated by the push-button toilet. My wife finds it hard to keep a straight face when accompanying my niece to the bathroom, because she makes songs up about everything, and when she is on the flush, she'll sing "poopin' and peein', poopin' and peein' ". I ought to sneak in there sometime with my pocket-cam and record one of those performances, just so I can play it at a family get-together when she is 15 or so years old. :devil:

1. Why do children always seem to need to pee when we are about to leave the house?

Many children are still developing their bladder control and may not be able to hold their urine for extended periods of time. This can lead to them feeling the need to pee more frequently, especially when they are excited or nervous, such as when getting ready to leave the house.

2. Is there a reason why children always seem to need to pee during important events or activities?

The pressure and excitement of important events or activities can cause children to feel anxious or nervous, which can in turn increase their need to pee. Additionally, they may not want to miss out on any part of the event or activity, so they may resist going to the bathroom until it becomes too urgent.

3. Why do children wait until the last minute to tell us they need to pee?

Children may not have the same awareness of their body's signals as adults do, and they may not realize they need to pee until it becomes urgent. They may also be too engrossed in what they are doing to notice the need to use the bathroom until it is almost too late.

4. How can we prevent children from needing to pee at inconvenient times?

Encouraging children to use the bathroom regularly, especially before leaving the house or engaging in important activities, can help prevent the need to pee at inconvenient times. It may also be helpful to remind them to use the bathroom before they start an activity or event.

5. Will children eventually outgrow this need to pee at inconvenient times?

As children develop and grow, they will gain better control over their bladder and will be able to hold their urine for longer periods of time. However, it is important to remember that every child is different and may have varying levels of bladder control, so it is best to be understanding and patient when it comes to their bathroom needs.