Why do I pay more tuition for stupid courses I don't need?

In summary, this person hates their school's "core requirement" of liberal arts classes. They only take two of these classes, one related to their major and one unrelated, and think it's excessive. They also think that the writing requirements and diversity requirement are reasonable.
Andromeda321 said:
I am currently an astro/physics major with a history minor who plays in the university's orchestra...

But I love each subject dearly and could not imagine not persuing one or the other. I like studying them because I love to learn, pure and simple. I write my papers and practice my scales because it makes me happy...

Money helps you be happy easier but if you have nothing that makes you happy what good is it for?

... at the end I'll find a deep joy in exploring the relationship between Ishtar and Ianna. And that's not something a bad stock market could ever take away from me!

EVO! EVO! I found a younger version!

I think I'm in love :!) :!) :!)

Why don't people like you ever exist near me?? :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am currently an astro/physics major with a history minor who plays in the university's orchestra. Do you see a lot of money coming from that? You're right and I don't see much money coming out of it either. But I love each subject dearly and could not imagine not persuing one or the other. I like studying them because I love to learn, pure and simple. I write my papers and practice my scales because it makes me happy.

You didn't read what I posted earlier. I AM NOT KNOCKING THE SUBJECTS THEMSELVES. I have no problem if someone wants to study philosophy or the humanities, what I have a problem with though is forcing people to study them who have no interest in it. Good you CHOSE to study orchestra/history, I have no problem with that. However I would have a problem if I was forced to take orchestra myself, since it will have no relevance to my interests or career in the future.

I've never taken a subject in which I didn't develop an interest. (Whether I was interested when I took it is another question...)

You're all high and mighty now, but you might change your tune when a clueless business major starts signing your paychecks. :tongue:

You didn't read what I posted earlier. I AM NOT KNOCKING THE SUBJECTS THEMSELVES. I have no problem if someone wants to study philosophy or the humanities, what I have a problem with though is forcing people to study them who have no interest in it. Good you CHOSE to study orchestra/history, I have no problem with that. However I would have a problem if I was forced to take orchestra myself, since it will have no relevance to my interests or career in the future.
Well let me tell you something interesting: I had no intention until a few months ago to major in history to the point where my high school teachers in the subject were in shock when I told them. I only realized how much I liked the subject when I was required to take it for my core classes.
Cheerio! :smile:

I take the courses I want. They have requirements, but I ignore it. I'm suppose to be kicked out of the program by now, but it hasn't happened.

I don't have to take very many other courses, but the reason I don't want to take them is that, like you said, there stupid and dumb.

I'm in school to learn. I'm not there for the damn degree.

Aren't we all in school to learn?

People say to get a degree because you can get $$$ out of it, but in reality this is only true for business students. When it comes to mathematics/science, it doesn't mean ****. My opinion might be very small, but in math/science you can show your skills and work.

I don't see why it takes a degree to tell someone you know something.