Why do physicists care about electrical potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of gravitational potential and its comparison to electrical potential. It is mentioned that gravitational potential is extremely important and is used in many problems involving conservation of energy. While it may not be as commonly measured as electric potential, it is still a fundamental concept in physics and is taught extensively in introductory classes.
member 392791
So I was thinking, I never heard about gravitational potential, yet there is such a big deal about electrical potential. Why is it so much more important that voltage be taught, yet no mention of its gravitational analog?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are highly mistaken; the concept of gravitational potential is EXTREMELY important and the field theoretic formulation of Newtonian Gravity has its basic equations in terms of the gravitational potential: [itex]\mathbf{a} = -\triangledown \Phi [/itex], [itex]\triangledown ^{2}\Phi = 4\pi G\rho [/itex]. What level of physics are you studying currently? It is possible that at the high school level you might not have used gravitational potential all that much yet; wait until you start talking about conserved systems and you will see it come up (the good old [itex]mg\Delta y[/itex]).

Well, to me in electromagnetism that I know better than G.R,
-potential is easier to calculate than the electric field. You obtain the potential and by a simple differentiation you find the field.
-it describes physics more fundamentally.

Woopydalan said:
So I was thinking, I never heard about gravitational potential, yet there is such a big deal about electrical potential. Why is it so much more important that voltage be taught, yet no mention of its gravitational analog?

1. There's a lot more "interesting" geometry with respect to the electric potential than with gravitational potential. This is because there are simpler and clearer boundary conditions and source distribution of varying geometries that can be imposed for the electric potential than with gravitational potential. While one can also impose some interesting mass distribution for gravitational potential, in realistic situations, this are seldom encountered when compared to our ability to have many different configurations of charge sources and boundary condition.

2. On the other hand, we ARE concerned about gravitational potential. If you have done Lagrangian/Hamiltonian/least action mechanics, practically ALL of the problems you have to deal with involves gravitational potential. The Brachistochrone problem is a common example.

Zz.

I don't know mechanical physics, I cannot comment on gravitational potential and all, don't even know the meaning.

Remember, electric potential is something you can measure easily...VOLT! This is something we electrical people measure everyday, all day. We don't go out and measure electric field and in a lot electronics, we don't deal with field at all.

Admittedly my post was ignorant. I was unaware that gravitational potential was important at a more advanced treatment of physics, which is why I wondered why it was something completely skipped in an introductory physics sequence, even though the electrical analog is discussed in much greater detail.

Just because the pedagogy leads itself to comparing gravity with electric fields. It's like why the gravitational version of gauss's law is not discussed until the electrical analog is first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gravitational potential is certainly not skipped in introductory classes. It is taught extensively when doing conservation of energy problems. How did you do problems that involved things like stability of cubes resting on cylinders and things like that without gravitational potential? Heck even things like springs hanging from a ceiling, a marble rolling in a dish, the circular pendulum, the inverted pendulum, the double pendulum, and the spherical pendulum are treated using gravitational potential granted you probably won't see the double pendulum or the spherical pendulum in an introductory class but certainly the others. In my AP Physics C class we also did calculation of gravitational potentials for various mass distributions (e.g. finite rod, infinite rod, spherical volume with cavity things like that).

1. Why is electrical potential important in physics?

Electrical potential is important in physics because it is a fundamental quantity that helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It allows us to calculate and predict the movement and interactions of these particles, which is crucial in understanding many natural phenomena and developing new technologies.

2. How is electrical potential different from electrical charge?

Electrical potential and electrical charge are two different quantities that are closely related. Electrical charge refers to the amount of electric charge that a particle carries, while electrical potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electrical potential is a measure of how much work would be needed to move a charged particle from one point to another in an electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electrical potential and voltage?

Electrical potential and voltage are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. Voltage is a measure of the difference in electrical potential between two points in an electric field. It is often described as the "push" or "force" that moves charged particles through a circuit. So, while electrical potential is a scalar quantity, voltage is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the electric potential difference between two points.

4. How is electrical potential calculated?

Electrical potential is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V represents the electric potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the particle and the point at which the potential is being calculated. This formula is known as Coulomb's law and is an important equation in electromagnetism.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding electrical potential?

Understanding electrical potential is crucial in many real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of electronic devices like computers, cell phones, and televisions. It is also important in power generation and transmission, as electrical potential is what drives the flow of electricity through power lines. Additionally, understanding electrical potential is essential in the study of lightning and other atmospheric electrical phenomena, as well as in the field of medical imaging techniques like electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.