When Electric Field is 0 is potential also 0?

In summary, electric potential is the electric potential energy per charge, and it is defined as the amount of work per unit charge needed to move a charge from a reference point to a given location. In the case of a zero electric field, there is no additional work needed to move the charge within that region, resulting in a constant voltage. This can be confusing when discussing conductors, as the electric field may be zero inside the conductor, but the potential remains constant.
Alex Hughes
So here is how my book defined electric potential. If you take a charge, it will have a corresponding electric field associated with it. If you put another charge in that electric field, an electrostatic force will act on it and give it kinetic energy. This kinetic energy can't come from thin air, therefore it has to come from the electric potential energy stored in the charges. To account for electric potential energy, an electric potential is defined. The electric potential is simply the electric potential energy per charge. This made sense to me until I got to a part about conductors. They said the electric potential is constant all throughout the conductor, but inside the conductor the electric field is 0. This doesn't make sense to me. Don't you need an electric field in order for a force to act on a charge which would then give it an electric potential. Without any electric field, how could you possibly have an electric potential? I looked online and everybody said zero electric field just means that the CHANGE in potential will be 0, and possibly could mean the potential is 0 but its not certain. Can somebody please explain to me why this is. I'm really confused. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if the electric field at a point was a direction and the voltage gradient at that point, specified in volts per metre?

Alex Hughes said:
If you put another charge in that electric field, an electrostatic force will act on it and give it kinetic energy.
More generally, the potential at a given location is the amount of work per unit charge that you will have to do to slowly move that charge from a defined reference point to the given location. If the given location is a region with no field then the charge can be moved freely anywhere within that region without any additional work. But if there is a field between the region and the reference point then it takes some work to go through that field. In fact, it takes the same amount of work to get anywhere within the region, but because of the intervening field that amount of work is non zero. Therefore, a zero field implies a constant voltage, not a zero voltage.

Likes Alex Hughes
Dale said:
More generally, the potential at a given location is the amount of work per unit charge that you will have to do to slowly move that charge from a defined reference point to the given location. If the given location is a region with no field then the charge can be moved freely anywhere within that region without any additional work. But if there is a field between the region and the reference point then it takes some work to go through that field. In fact, it takes the same amount of work to get anywhere within the region, but because of the intervening field that amount of work is non zero. Therefore, a zero field implies a constant voltage, not a zero voltage.
Thanks, that makes sense

Last edited:
Likes Dale

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would experience in that particular region of space.

2. How is the electric field related to potential?

The electric field and potential are related by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential.

3. Why is the electric field 0 at a point where the potential is also 0?

This is because the electric field is a measure of the change in potential over a distance. If the potential is 0, there is no change in potential over a distance, so the electric field is also 0 at that point.

4. Can the electric field be 0 at a point where the potential is not 0?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field to be 0 at a point where the potential is not 0. This can occur in situations where the electric field cancels out or is balanced by other forces.

5. How does the electric field being 0 at a point affect the behavior of charged particles?

If the electric field is 0 at a point, charged particles will not experience any force at that point. This means that the charged particles will be in equilibrium and will not move unless acted upon by other forces.