1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do some books use dQ/dV for capacitance?

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,

Today was the second time in a text book that they calculated capacitance using [tex]C = \frac{dQ}{dV}[/tex]. In my electromagnetics book and any sources I find online they use [tex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/tex].

Can anyone help me understand why they can do it like this? This type of calculation was done to calculate the zero bias junction capacitance of a pn junction diode.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

For a linear capacitor, it doesn't make any difference, but for devices like diodes and transistors where Q is not a linear function of V, then it matters. For these non-linear devices, the differential capacitance dQ/dV is typically referred to as the "capacitance". This confused me also when I first started studying devices, but it is just a matter of convention. I think it arose because people were using these devices in small signal circuits where what mattered was the response of the capacitor to a small change in voltage. In any case, if you look up a "C-V diagram" for a diode, MOS capacitor, or some other non-linear device, what is actually being plotted is dQ/dV vs V.
  4. Aug 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply, that explains a lot. It seems like in a lot of books they leave out a lot of the conclusions or assumptions that they make.

So basically it can be treated the same as a regular capacitance as long as the change in differential capacitance over the voltage range used isn't very big and mostly linear.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook