Why do we all seem to have weird eating habits?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Some people are like that with milk, too. They'll drink the whole carton, but then they won't drink the milk that's left in the fridge.People who do that are known as milk snobs.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you cut your sandwiches straight across or on the diagonal? Do you eat your potatoes before your meat? Do you hide your peas under the plate? [an old trick in our family! :biggrin:]

Last night I realized that I have a very specific approach to eating toast. I like to bite the crust off so that I'm left with the uncrusted, butter-soaked center, as a reward for my patience. I've been doing this as long as I can remember but never actually thought about it before. :rofl: How odd!

I use the same approach with vegies that I don't really like. I eat them first to get the bad tasting stuff out of the way.

Also, one sip of milk is required with almost every bite.

Physics news on Phys.org
I too eat the parts of food that I like least so I finish with the best tasting parts.

If I have a box of crackers, I always eat the broken ones first.

I've noticed that the Evo Child or her BF will pour all milk from a container except for the last 1/2 cup. They will leave that out on the counter instead of returning it to the fridge. Won't throw it away either, they just leave it on the counter to go bad. When I get up in the morning I find the milk bottle, they had a late night bowl of cereal before going to bed. :grumpy: What drives this type of behaviour?

I love fried chicken, but especially the thighs. I always eat thighs the same way. First take off the skin and the first layer of meat and eat them together. Then take off that side meat that comes off easily. I then separate the bone from the socket and eat the meat around the bone. Lastly I eat that little chunk of meat that's right next to the socket. This is my little thigh eating ritual. = )

Some of mine:

• I prefer my salad after my entree
  • Pasta or soup without some type of bread is a crime
  • I like luke-warm temperatures (most people I'm friends with like steaming hot food)
  • After putting peanut butter on my waffles/pancakes for the first time, I've never been able to go back to butter. I have no problems requesting a side of peanut butter with my order at a restaurant.

The most idiosyncratic is probably my preference to eat in specific patterns depending on the meal and the type of media on which it is presented. Most of the time, I prefer to eat from the outside of my plate in towards the center. I don't like chaos on my plate, which is why I'll avoid creating a gaping hole in the center of my meal, if possible.

My presentation tends to be symmetrical in nature, and I've caught myself re-arranging things on a plate if I'm given something that looks out of control, unless doing so would insult its creator.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll ask my better half tonight if I can remember.

When I eat corn on the cob, I bite off about 4 rows and then knock over the remaining rows one at a time with my bottom teeth. The result it a very clean cob when I'm done.

I always eat my meat before I have any pudding.

Y'all are wackos :biggrin:

I always eat my chocolate bars deconstructed... like all the outside chocolate first, then the middle in layers- I like to taste each component by itself :9

I have a friend that won't touch macaroni noodles in salads, American chop suey, etc, but he LOVES spaghetti. What gives?

I have my own peculiarities, including putting hot sauces on about everything. I love grilled cheese sandwiches, though I insist on smearing hot mustard on the inside before grilling the sandwiches. Gotta have soup with my grilled-cheese sandwiches, too.

Q_Goest said:
I always eat my meat before I have any pudding.
That's because you can't have any pudding unless you eat your meat. :approve:

Not an idiosyncrasies.

dlgoff said:
That's because you can't have any pudding unless you eat your meat. :approve:

Not an idiosyncrasies.
Blood pudding. With tongue.

Evo said:
:rofl:
For me, that would be an idiosyncrasy.

I hate it when people don't drink the milk from their cereal bowl. They just pour it down the sink. What a waste.

And some people will be so picky with food that they contradict themselves. Some say they hate cheese, but they'll eat pizza with cheese on it. If it's not on a pizza, they can't eat it. They don't just not like it, they literally can't eat it because the physical laws of nature prohibit it. But if it's melted, then they can eat it with some chips, but otherwise, they would rather die of starvation than eat cheese. They love it on pizza and melted on potato chips, but other than that, cheese makes them throw up from the mere sight of it.

Evo said:
I've noticed that the Evo Child or her BF will pour all milk from a container except for the last 1/2 cup. They will leave that out on the counter instead of returning it to the fridge. Won't throw it away either, they just leave it on the counter to go bad. When I get up in the morning I find the milk bottle, they had a late night bowl of cereal before going to bed. :grumpy: What drives this type of behaviour?

Its either that or put back not enough for the next person :)

I actually got in a "fight" with my parents once because they claimed I never finished drinking my glass of mike completely, claiming I always left some in the bottom before placing it in the sink prior to someone loading the dishwasher. I had to prove to them that the thickness of the 2% milk led to it coating most of the large glass, which when sitting for a few minutes finally drained to the bottom. PHYSICS GO! (Are you sure it isn't similar? Its surprising how much is on the sides...)

Hepth said:
Its either that or put back not enough for the next person :)

I actually got in a "fight" with my parents once because they claimed I never finished drinking my glass of mike completely, claiming I always left some in the bottom before placing it in the sink prior to someone loading the dishwasher. I had to prove to them that the thickness of the 2% milk led to it coating most of the large glass, which when sitting for a few minutes finally drained to the bottom. PHYSICS GO! (Are you sure it isn't similar? Its surprising how much is on the sides...)
When there is another container of milk there is no concernt that there is not enough. I agree that milk does settle and appear to be more at rest than when you try to pour it, but this is always at least a half cup. Usually enough for me. I think it's her BF doing it, he has some odd habits. Of course my odd habit is that I will try and salvage every last drop of everything, you'd think I had been starved as a child.

Hi, my name is Evo and I'm a *food hoarder*.

Evo said:
Loved blood pudding, but in my French-Canadian family, that was mostly reserved for females. They knew what they were doing.

I also tend to eat in order from least favorite parts to most favorite, so I can savor the taste of the best parts.

When I get a frosted cake, I eat all the cake and leave the frosting, then eat the frosting.

When my food is served, if I put it on the plate, I always put the meat on the side of the plate closest to me, the potatoes or rice on the top right and the vegetables on the top left. When I get served in a restaurant, if they put the plate down with the meat anywhere but closest to me, I always end up turning it so the meat is closest (assuming it's a dish with meat).

I probably have more idiosyncrasies of how I eat, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I'm better than I used to be. I used to be one of those people who didn't like food touching on my plate, and even ate each ingredient of a mixed food dish separately. I don't do that anymore, and now even lean in the other direction of trying to get a little of everything on my fork to eat it all together now.

I don't know why your daughter's boyfriend leaves the milk out on the counter, but I understand not finishing that last half cup. I end up the same way. Actually, I'll use it in my coffee, but if I'm just drinking milk, for some reason, that last half cup never tastes right, so I'd rather open the next container of milk.

Moonbear said:
I also tend to eat in order from least favorite parts to most favorite, so I can savor the taste of the best parts.
I tend to *make* favorites, and always have as a kid. If I have baked potatoes (I LOVE the skins), I usually try to get butter, salt, and pepper in the skins and try to add in whole-kernel corn, and other goodies into the skins to pump them up even more. Baked potatoes with chili and cheese invites more combos.

turbo-1 said:
I tend to *make* favorites, and always have as a kid. If I have baked potatoes (I LOVE the skins), I usually try to get butter, salt, and pepper in the skins and try to add in whole-kernel corn, and other goodies into the skins to pump them up even more. Baked potatoes with chili and cheese invites more combos.

I've always loved potato skins too. I'll eat all the "flesh" out of the potato, and then add butter and salt to the skins and munch those down all by themselves. When I was a kid, I used to steal everyone else's potato skins too (except my Dad's...he's the one who taught me to eat the skins, so wasn't going to give up his. :biggrin:) I also used to like to gnaw on the bones from steak and pork chops, so would steal those off my mom's and sister's plates when they were done cutting the meat off theirs (they wanted nothing to do with anything that might have gotten anywhere near fat). Yes, that was another bad habit my Dad taught me, along with eating raw hamburger meat on a slice of onion (half the fun is how much it grosses out my Mom to do that...hee hee).

Moonbear said:
I've always loved potato skins too. I'll eat all the "flesh" out of the potato, and then add butter and salt to the skins and munch those down all by themselves. When I was a kid, I used to steal everyone else's potato skins too (except my Dad's...he's the one who taught me to eat the skins, so wasn't going to give up his. :biggrin:) I also used to like to gnaw on the bones from steak and pork chops, so would steal those off my mom's and sister's plates when they were done cutting the meat off theirs (they wanted nothing to do with anything that might have gotten anywhere near fat). Yes, that was another bad habit my Dad taught me, along with eating raw hamburger meat on a slice of onion (half the fun is how much it grosses out my Mom to do that...hee hee).
Ooh, sniper-kitty has deviant eating habits! I was raised in an environment when almost anything that wasn't moving was fair game. When I was a little kid, and still a bit young to get involved in the killing, I participated in the parceling of the meat, blood, fat, etc that we needed to help the hogs get us through the winter.

Moonbear said:
When I get a frosted cake, I eat all the cake and leave the frosting, then eat the frosting.

Cake is just a vehicle for frosting! :biggrin:

]I don't know why your daughter's boyfriend leaves the milk out on the counter, but I understand not finishing that last half cup. I end up the same way. Actually, I'll use it in my coffee, but if I'm just drinking milk, for some reason, that last half cup never tastes right, so I'd rather open the next container of milk.

True! Once you get below a cup or so, the milk seems to sour very quickly.

Also, no blue milk! Has anyone else ever noticed how skim milk has a blue tint? I hate skim milk and reached the point where I could recognize it on sight.

We drink 2% and have for twenty years, but I love whole milk. For that matter, I would probably drink half and half with a meal. I would love to have half and half with cake or pie.

When I was a late teen, I would sometimes get Half and Half with a 3 Musketeers Bar. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!

1. What are eating idiosyncrasies?

Eating idiosyncrasies refer to unique or unusual eating habits or behaviors that an individual exhibits. These can include preferences for certain foods, specific rituals or routines related to eating, or aversions to certain textures or tastes.

2. Are eating idiosyncrasies normal?

Yes, eating idiosyncrasies are a normal and common part of human behavior. Everyone has their own individual preferences and habits when it comes to eating. However, if these behaviors significantly impact an individual's health or daily functioning, it may be beneficial to seek professional help.

3. What causes eating idiosyncrasies?

Eating idiosyncrasies can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, cultural influences, learned behaviors, and psychological factors. Some individuals may also have sensory processing issues that contribute to their idiosyncrasies.

4. Can eating idiosyncrasies be changed?

In some cases, eating idiosyncrasies can be changed or managed with the help of a healthcare professional. For example, therapy or counseling may be beneficial for individuals with severe eating disorders or aversions. However, it is important to respect an individual's unique eating habits and not force them to change if it does not negatively impact their health.

5. When should I be concerned about someone's eating idiosyncrasies?

If an individual's eating idiosyncrasies significantly impact their physical health, daily functioning, or relationships, it may be a cause for concern. It is also important to seek help if the individual has an eating disorder or severe aversions that are affecting their overall well-being.