Why do we need a quantum theory of gravity? What would it do?

In summary, the goal of the quantum theory of gravity is to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity to reach a "theory of everything". The incompatibility of these two theories is due to the mathematics of their respective theories.
chaoseverlasting
Why do we need a quantum theory of gravity? What would it do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where both quantum theory and general relativity must apply at the same time, they can't. Example - what goes on inside a black hole?

mathman said:
Where both quantum theory and general relativity must apply at the same time, they can't. Example - what goes on inside a black hole?
Well, "where [they] must apply at the same time" is understating the problem. To claim we understand our universe, they must be applicable at the same time EVERYWHERE and EVERYWHEN. Otherwise, our understanding is fundamentally incomplete.

Two of the greatest scientific theories in the history of civilsation - turn out to be incompatible. They can't both be right. Yet, they are each one of the best-confirmed theories in history.

Last edited:
Wow. What makes them incompatible?

DaveC426913 said:
Well, "where [they] must apply at the same time" is understating the problem. To claim we understand our universe, they must be applicable at the same time EVERYWHERE and EVERYWHEN. Otherwise, our understanding is fundamentally incomplete.

I don't think we will ever really understand our universe.

I think we'll get it. It may take a while, but I definitely think we'll get it... if we don't destroy ourselves in the process...

Quantum mechanics describes the actions and interactions of the extremely small, the particle level. Relativity describes massives amounts of matter, planets, stars, and such. They both are highly accurate as was mentioned, but when they are both applied to the same body/particle, they seem to fall apart. Why exactly?

I'm not 100% but it's the mathematics of them that does not lend itself to be compatible. As was mentioned with black holes, it's a huge amount of mass, but a terribly small, point-like structure.

Think of black holes almost as, what happens when both theories collide, and do we know exactly what goes on at the singularity? Nope.

The modern quest of physics is what is called a TOE (theory of everything) in which everything can be described in one ecompassing theory. Quantum Mechanics describes 3 forces (Nuclear Strong and Weak, and Electromagnetism) while relativity describes Gravity. When we are able to combine all of these into one theory, we will hopefully accomplish that.

One of these proposed theories is String Theory.

A very good question you asked, and i hope i am right and have clarified a little.

Good luck! =)

chaoseverlasting said:
I think we'll get it. It may take a while, but I definitely think we'll get it... if we don't destroy ourselves in the process...

No i don't think we'll never know/learn every knook and crany in our universe. To learn everything would take forever.

Well, who can predict the future? It's useless to debate about this.

no one can but i don't think we can learn everything the universe has to offer

Thanks doug. very helpful post

your welcome, i try =) ha

1. Why do we need a quantum theory of gravity?

A quantum theory of gravity is necessary because our current theories of gravity, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, do not work at the quantum level. At the quantum level, the laws of physics that govern the behavior of particles are different from the laws that govern larger objects. Therefore, a quantum theory of gravity is needed to better understand the behavior of particles at the smallest scale.

2. What would a quantum theory of gravity do?

A quantum theory of gravity would help us better understand the fundamental nature of the universe, particularly at the smallest scales. It would also allow us to reconcile the theories of gravity and quantum mechanics, which currently have fundamental differences and cannot be unified. This would greatly advance our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and applications.

3. How would a quantum theory of gravity change our understanding of the universe?

A quantum theory of gravity would provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It would also shed light on the nature of space and time at the smallest scales, potentially leading to a better understanding of phenomena such as black holes and the Big Bang. Additionally, it could open up new areas of research and exploration in the field of physics.

4. Can we test a quantum theory of gravity?

Yes, there are several ways in which a quantum theory of gravity can be tested. One approach is through experiments at high-energy particle colliders, such as the Large Hadron Collider, where scientists can study the behavior of particles at extreme energies. Another way is through observations of astrophysical phenomena, such as gravitational waves, which can provide insights into the nature of gravity at the quantum level.

5. How close are we to developing a quantum theory of gravity?

While there have been many proposed theories and models for a quantum theory of gravity, it is still an ongoing area of research and no single theory has been accepted as the definitive theory. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding have brought us closer to solving this mystery, and many scientists believe that we are on the cusp of discovering a quantum theory of gravity.