1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we need the vertical distance that a bouncing ball traveled?

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1.Main question: Why would anyone need to know the total VERTICAL distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

2.Other question: Does anyone have a link to an explanation (or could explain themselves) on how to calculate the total HORIZONTAL distance traveled by a bouncing ball?

3. The attempt at a solution

For the second question, I have filmed and analysed (plotted the points) of a few trajectories, so I have the values, I just need to explain why i got those values and I don't know how..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the context.
    For instance, someone could be paying you to find out.
    (Have you tried to find it? The reason usually becomes clear when you do.)

It is the horizontal speed multiplied by the time to come to rest ... or some other approach depending on your data.

Please note: apart from the question, no problem statement has been attached.

You got those values because those are the ones you filmed <puzzled>.

I think you need to provide a more complete description of the problem you are facing, but it sounds like you are over-thinking things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted