Why do we only work with vector space isomorphisms over a fixed field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vector space isomorphisms over fixed and unfixed fields. It is mentioned that under certain assumptions, algebraic invariants such as dimension are preserved. However, it is also noted that there may be some confusion and challenges in defining linear maps over unfixed fields.
christoff
I was working on a problem in field extensions (for a 3rd-year ring theory class), and came to a point where I essentially had the following situation...

[itex] F [/itex] is a field isomorphic to [itex] G [/itex], and [itex] G' [/itex] is for all intents and purposes, some set. We can then consider the vector spaces [itex] G'_F [/itex] and [itex] G'_G [/itex].

I wondered to myself if it was true that [itex] G'_F [/itex] was isomorphic to [itex] G'_G [/itex]. However, in my mathematical career I've only ever worked with the notion of vector space isomorphisms over a fixed field.

I ended up solving the problem differently, but the question remained... What happens if you don't fix the field?

I suppose the first inherent problem with working with an unfixed field is that the definition of a linear map would have to be changed; it would have to be something like... for [itex] u,v\in V [/itex] and [itex]α[/itex] in the field, a linear map is something which satisfies [itex] L(αv+u)=l(α)L(v)+L(u) [/itex] where [itex] l [/itex] is a field homomorphism specified in the definition of [itex] L [/itex].

Aside from this however, has anybody ever tried doing this, and seeing if properties like dimension are preserved under a "suitable" definition of vector space isomorphism over an unfixed field?

Physics news on Phys.org
christoff said:
I was working on a problem in field extensions (for a 3rd-year ring theory class), and came to a point where I essentially had the following situation...

[itex] F [/itex] is a field isomorphic to [itex] G [/itex], and [itex] G' [/itex] is for all intents and purposes, some set. We can then consider the vector spaces [itex] G'_F [/itex] and [itex] G'_G [/itex].

...and then [itex]\,G'\,[/itex] is not only "a set": it must be both an abelian group and a module over both fields [itex]\,F\,,\,G\,[/itex] ...

I wondered to myself if it was true that [itex] G'_F [/itex] was isomorphic to [itex] G'_G [/itex]. However, in my mathematical career I've only ever worked with the notion of vector space isomorphisms over a fixed field.

I ended up solving the problem differently, but the question remained... What happens if you don't fix the field?

If the module structures over both fields (module over field = vector space, of course) are preserved under the isomorphism

(of rings) [itex]\,F\cong G\,[/itex], then yes: [itex]\,G'_F\cong G'_G[/itex] .

I suppose the first inherent problem with working with an unfixed field is that the definition of a linear map would have to be changed; it would have to be something like... for [itex] u,v\in V [/itex] and [itex]α[/itex] in the field, a linear map is something which satisfies [itex] L(αv+u)=l(α)L(v)+L(u) [/itex] where [itex] l [/itex] is a field homomorphism specified in the definition of [itex] L [/itex].

Aside from this however, has anybody ever tried doing this, and seeing if properties like dimension are preserved under a "suitable" definition of vector space isomorphism over an unfixed field?

All the algebraic invariants, under the above assumptions I wrote, are preserved: linearly independent

sets, dimensions, etc., and you're right about the definition of linear map but only if we insist in working with both vector

spaces [itex]\,G'_F\,,\,G'_G\,[/itex] , something that seems to me superfluous and confusing.

DonAntonio

1. Why do we work with vector space isomorphisms over a fixed field?

Working with vector space isomorphisms over a fixed field allows for a more focused and specific study of linear transformations. By fixing the field, we can better understand the behavior and properties of these transformations without the added complexity of varying fields.

2. What is a vector space isomorphism?

A vector space isomorphism is a bijective linear transformation between two vector spaces that preserves the vector space structure. This means that it maps vectors from one vector space to another in a way that maintains the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

3. Why is it important to study vector space isomorphisms?

Studying vector space isomorphisms is important because they provide a way to compare and relate vector spaces. They also help us understand the structure and properties of linear transformations, which are fundamental in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can vector space isomorphisms exist between vector spaces with different dimensions?

No, a vector space isomorphism can only exist between vector spaces with the same dimension. This is because a bijective linear transformation between two vector spaces must have the same number of basis elements in order to preserve the structure of the vector spaces.

5. How do we determine if two vector spaces are isomorphic?

In order for two vector spaces to be isomorphic, they must have the same dimension. Additionally, we can show that there exists a bijective linear transformation between the two vector spaces, which can be done by finding a basis for each vector space and showing that the transformation preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication.