Why do we see a spectrum after Swimming?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the phenomenon of seeing a spectrum around light after swimming, which is caused by the surface tension and gravity pulling excess water on the surface of the eye into a non-spherical curve, refracting light of different wavelengths. This can also happen when crying due to the tear drop forming a spherical shape. It is speculated that the cornea may absorb chlorine or other chemicals from the water, causing a slight fogging, but this will eventually be dispersed by the eye's fluids after leaving the pool.
anuragkanase
Hey guys,
I recently noticed that, after a swim, when you look at the light, you see a spectrum around it. The light was white light. And you see it with naked eyes.
Can you guys explain this phenomenon?
The water did contain Chlorine and maybe other necessary chemicals required in swimming pool.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a biologist or a medic but I do know that after I swam my eyes watered more.

The excess water on the surface of my eye is affected by surface tension and gravity so it must be pulled into a non spherical curve which hence is a prism and will refract light of different wavelengths at different angle so producing a spectrum.

Do what all good physicists do and I am going to do next time I swim - do an experiment.

If I hold my head as close as possible to vertically downwards and look at a light source directly beneath I would expect the spectrum to disappear

Regards

Sam

You're right. I need to experiment it different ways. But it must happen when we cry. Oh, I am not certain but your answer is somewhat correctly related to sphere formed by tear drop. And I think yes we see a spectrum when we cry.
Holy, I can't even cry right now.
Thanks for the answer.

My guess that the cornea is absorbing some of the chlorine or other chemicals from the water, (chemicals tend to transfer from higher concentrated fluids to lower concentrated fluids), resulting in a slight fogging of the cornea. Once you're out of the pool, eventually the chlorine or other chemicals will get dispersed by the fluids produced at your eyes.

I can explain the phenomenon you observed after swimming. The spectrum you see is called a rainbow, which is created when white light is refracted, or bent, as it passes through water droplets in the air. This refraction separates the white light into its component colors, creating the spectrum you see. The presence of chlorine and other chemicals in the water may also contribute to the formation of the rainbow by altering the way the light is refracted. Additionally, the movement of the water and the way it interacts with the light may also play a role in the appearance of the rainbow. I hope this explanation helps to satisfy your curiosity about this fascinating phenomenon.

What causes the spectrum we see after swimming?

The spectrum we see after swimming is caused by the refraction of light through the water. When light enters the water, it slows down and bends, separating the different colors of the spectrum.

Why do some people see a spectrum after swimming while others do not?

People who see a spectrum after swimming may have a higher sensitivity to light refraction, or they may be swimming in water with higher levels of dissolved particles or contaminants that can enhance the refraction of light.

Is the spectrum we see after swimming harmful to our eyes?

No, the spectrum we see after swimming is not harmful to our eyes. The amount of light refraction and the intensity of the colors are not strong enough to cause damage to our vision. However, it is always important to protect our eyes from direct exposure to sunlight while swimming.

Does the temperature of the water affect the spectrum we see after swimming?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect the spectrum we see after swimming. Warmer water can cause more light refraction, resulting in a more intense and vivid spectrum. Cooler water may have less refraction, resulting in a less noticeable spectrum.

Can the spectrum we see after swimming be used for any scientific purposes?

Yes, the spectrum we see after swimming can be used for scientific purposes. It can be used to study the properties of light refraction and how it is affected by different factors such as water temperature, dissolved particles, and contaminants. It can also be used to measure the quality of water in different bodies of water.