Why do we take the derivative of g(x) when using the method of

In summary: The textbook says to assume the particular solutions includes both the terms of g(x) and their derivatives but doesn't answer why.The particular solution ##y_p## has to satisfy the differential equation. With the right value of A, when the particular solution given is subbed into the DE, the cos term will vanish to leave only sin. Thus the full 'general' form of the particular solution is this linear combination of sin and cos. The form of this particular solution depends on the roots of the auxiliary equation from the homogeneous DE.The particular solution ##y_p## has to satisfy the differential equation. With the right value of A, when the particular solution given is subbed into
Turion
Let g(x) be the right side of a heterogeneous ODE. Why do we take the derivative of g(x) when using the method of undetermined coefficients? This is to guess the form of the particular solution.

The textbook says to assume the particular solutions includes both the terms of g(x) and their derivatives but doesn't answer why.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
The particular solution ##y_p## has to satisfy the differential equation. With the right value of A, when the particular solution given is subbed into the DE, the cos term will vanish to leave only sin. Thus the full 'general' form of the particular solution is this linear combination of sin and cos.

The form of this particular solution depends on the roots of the auxiliary equation from the homogeneous DE.

CAF123 said:
The particular solution ##y_p## has to satisfy the differential equation. With the right value of A, when the particular solution given is subbed into the DE, the cos term will vanish to leave only sin. Thus the full 'general' form of the particular solution is this linear combination of sin and cos.

The form of this particular solution depends on the roots of the auxiliary equation from the homogeneous DE.

For the sake of understanding, given the following problem:

$$y''-2y'+y=2f(x)\\ f'(x)=g(x)\\ f''(x)=h(x)\\ f'''(x)=i(x)\\ { f }^{ (4) }=j(x)\\ { f }^{ (5) }=k(x)\\ { f }^{ (n) }=k(x)\quad where\quad k>5$$

would the linear combination consist of f(x), g(x), and h(x) or f(x), g(x), h(x), i(x), j(x), and k(x)?

If I understand your question correctly, then I'd say f(x) and g(x) are only needed. If the RHS is already a linear combination of sin and cos then since your eqn is a second order linear DE you can solve for the particular solution, ##y_p = y_{p1} + y_{p2}## where ##y_{p1}## solves LHS = 2(Asin(kx) and ##y_{p2}## solves LHS=2(Bcos(kx)).

Here we consider two separate DE's. Consider one of the eqns above. ##y_{pi}## will be Cisin(kx) + Dicos(kx), ie a linear combo. of the original LHS and it's derivative. That is why I suggest f(x) and g(x), where g(x) was f'(x).

This is assuming that the the (possible) imaginary component of roots of the auxiliary eqn is not of the form ±ki, because then this changes the nature of the particular solution.

CAF123 said:
If I understand your question correctly, then I'd say f(x) and g(x) are only needed. If the RHS is already a linear combination of sin and cos then since your eqn is a second order linear DE you can solve for the particular solution, ##y_p = y_{p1} + y_{p2}## where ##y_{p1}## solves LHS = 2(Asin(kx) and ##y_{p2}## solves LHS=2(Bcos(kx)).

Here we consider two separate DE's. Consider one of the eqns above. ##y_{pi}## will be Cisin(kx) + Dicos(kx), ie a linear combo. of the original LHS and it's derivative. That is why I suggest f(x) and g(x), where g(x) was f'(x).

This is assuming that the the (possible) imaginary component of roots of the auxiliary eqn is not of the form ±ki, because then this changes the nature of the particular solution.

Where did you get sin and cos from?

I meant f(x) is some imaginary function. Sorry for not being clear. Basically, I am asking how many derivatives of f(x) we have to take before we stop.

Turion said:
Where did you get sin and cos from?

I meant f(x) is some imaginary function. Sorry for not being clear. Basically, I am asking how many derivatives of f(x) we have to take before we stop.

We do not immediately go about taking the derivative of f(x). As in the first example, if the roots of the auxiliary eqn are not ±ki, then the particular solution is a linear combination of sin and cos and so this is what you would differentiate (twice). If ±ki are roots, then the particular solution mentioned before has to be altered so as to not produce a redundant equation.

In general, for second order DE's, you have to differentiate the particular solution two times so it can then be subbed into determine the constants if initial conditions are provided. This particular solution depends on the roots of the auxiliary eqn, so it is not simply f(x).

This is the method used for undetermined coefficients. Later, you may see the method of variation of paramaters which is a more general method to find particular solutions for more complex looking f(x), but the resulting integrals may be hard to evaluate.
Does it answer your question?

1. Why do we need to take the derivative of g(x)?

Taking the derivative of g(x) is an essential step in the method of ________ because it allows us to find the rate of change, or slope, of the function at any given point. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the function and making predictions about its future values.

2. What is the purpose of the method of ________?

The method of ________ is used to find the minimum or maximum values of a function. By taking the derivative of g(x) and setting it equal to zero, we can solve for the critical points of the function, which correspond to the minimum or maximum values.

3. How does taking the derivative help us find the minimum or maximum values?

When we take the derivative of g(x), we are essentially finding the slope of the function at every point. The points where the slope is equal to zero are known as critical points. These points can correspond to either a minimum or maximum value of the function, depending on the behavior of the function around these points.

4. Can we use the method of ________ for any type of function?

Yes, the method of ________ can be applied to any type of function, as long as it is differentiable. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of ________?

The method of ________ may not always give the correct answer if the function is not well-behaved, meaning it has discontinuities or sharp corners. Additionally, the method may not work for functions with multiple local minima or maxima, as there may be more than one critical point to consider.