Why does a DC motor have a restricted speed?

In summary: Well, my main purpose is to see if we can attain an EMF greater than the supply voltage. When the magnet pass by the coil, let's say it's supper fast that exceed the supply voltage, we aren't apply voltage to the coil because if we do, the magnet slow down in transfering energy to the supply. So we wait until the magnet about to reverse direction to turn on the coil because at that instant, the magnet induce very low EMF and the supply voltage can overcome that.
Net current = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
leafy said:
Net current = 0
What is the “net current”?

leafy said:
Hm... you might have read the diode wrong.
Well that's a bit of egg on my face then. That's what I get for not brushing up on my EE101. My apologies.

leafy said:
Unload motor require current to overcome friction. Loaded motor require current for the load. We assumed ideal, no friction, so the only requirement is current for the load.
The portion of rotation that charges the batteries will put a mechanical load on the motor, slowing it down. The battery will need to supply current after this to speed it back up. You have created a (bad) motor generator, which is not new as has been discussed.
It is much more difficult than you imagine to create new stuff
Linus Pauling was once asked how he had so many good ideas. He said "I just have a lot of ideas and I get rid of the bad ones" One needs to be able to do both of these efficiently to be successful. With respect, you need some more work on the second part.

/

Likes Dale
leafy said:
But there is current through it. Each time the switch close, current flow to speed up the wheel. Each time current flow to the 24V, curren flow slow down the wheel. Each cycle, there is a speed up and slow down. The net is zero current with is steady state.
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

leafy said:
Each time the switch close, current flow to speed up the wheel. Each time current flow to the 24V, curren flow slow down the wheel. Each cycle, there is a speed up and slow down. The net is zero current with is steady state.
I believe that by “net is zero current” you mean that the current speeding up the motor with the 12 V supply is the same as the current slowing down the motor with the 24 V recharging. That is simply false, there is nothing that would require it from a circuits standpoint and, as you noticed, the conservation of energy forbids it.

As perpetual motion machines are not permitted to be discussed here, this thread will remain closed.

Likes sysprog