Why does a frozen balloon have this structure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a unique triangle structure inside a frozen water balloon and the question of why this structure forms instead of uniform transparent ice. The conversation suggests that the freezing process is not uniform and that the ground may have been warmer than the surrounding air during the process. A paper at the NIH is referenced, which explains that the concentration of dissolved gases can reach a critical value, causing gas bubbles to form and become trapped within the ice. This leads to the conclusion that the triangle shape is likely a result of the freezing process starting at the outer surface and progressing towards the middle.
musicgold
Hi,

I forgot a water-filled balloon in my backyard last fall. When my kid brought the frozen balloon in and removed the rubber, we were surprised to see the beautiful structure inside the ball of glass. I remember that glass paperweights used to have similar designs inside them. I used to think that air bubbles were blown into the glass to create the structure. But it looks like it is a natural phenomenon. I think even ice cubes in the fridge also have a similar structure.
20180120_220632[1].jpg

Can someone please explain me or point to a resource that explains why this triangle structure, with air bubbles trapped at the center, is formed? Why don't we get uniform transparent ice?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180120_220632[1].jpg
    20180120_220632[1].jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
The air bubbles must have been some air stuck inside the water balloon. I can't say I know about the triangle pattern inside.

musicgold said:
Why don't we get uniform transparent ice?
The freezing is not uniform. It probably goes inwards.

According to a paper at the NIH; "As freezing progresses, the concentration of dissolved gases surpasses a critical value, the water-containing fluid at the interface becomes supersaturated, and the gas bubbles may nucleate and grow to a visible size either along the interface and/or be trapped within the advancing solid." [ref]

So following the bubble tracks tells us that the outer surface froze first, and progressed towards the middle.

My guess as to why there is a triangle shape, is that the ground was warmer than the surrounding air during the process.

Likes nasu and anorlunda

1. Why does a frozen balloon have a crystalline structure?

Frozen balloons have a crystalline structure because when water freezes, it forms a regular pattern of molecules that create a lattice-like structure. This structure is also known as ice, and it is what gives frozen balloons their unique shape.

2. How does the freezing process affect the rubber of the balloon?

When a balloon is frozen, the rubber material becomes more rigid and less elastic. This is because the cold temperature causes the rubber molecules to slow down and become more tightly packed, resulting in a stiffer texture.

3. Why do frozen balloons shrink in size?

Frozen balloons shrink in size because the cold temperature causes the air inside the balloon to contract. This results in a decrease in volume, causing the balloon to appear smaller. Once the balloon is thawed, the air inside will expand and return to its original size.

4. Can the frozen structure of a balloon be altered?

No, the frozen structure of a balloon cannot be altered. The crystalline structure formed during the freezing process is permanent and cannot be changed without melting the balloon back into a liquid state and then refreezing it.

5. What is the purpose of freezing a balloon?

Freezing a balloon is often done as a science experiment or for decorative purposes. It can also be used to preserve balloons for longer periods of time, as the frozen structure helps to prevent air from escaping and deflating the balloon.