Why does an electron create a magnetic field when it moves?

In summary, the force exerted by a charged particle on another depends on their positions and velocities, with the electric and magnetic fields being components of a unified electromagnetic field. This understanding is based on the historical development of the subject, with special relativity playing a key role in explaining the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.
Ruben sellman
i am just a student who wishes to learn more about physics and the way the universe works, but because i am 14 and am just starting to learn all of this on my own i have to start from scratch, please present me with any usable information

Physics news on Phys.org
An electric field that changes in time generates magnetic fields. Physics cannot answer "why" question on a fundamental level. This is just an observation.

Likes xareu
In general, the force that a charged particle A exerts on another charged particle B depends on the positions and velocities (i.e. speed and direction) of both A and B. Because of the way the subject developed historically, we say that the part of the force that depends only on the positions of A and B is due to an "electric field" produced by A, that acts on B; and the part of the force that depends on the velocities of A and B is due to a "magnetic field" produced by A, that acts on B. Nowadays we consider these two fields to be merely components of a single unified tensor field, the "electromagnetic field."

Likes cnh1995 and axmls
jtbell said:
Because of the way the subject developed historically, we say that the part of the force that depends only on the positions of A and B is due to an "electric field" produced by A, that acts on B; and the part of the force that depends on the velocities of A and B is due to a "magnetic field" produced by A, that acts on B.

Thanks, JT, I never thought of it that way.

Ruben sellman said:
i am just a student who wishes to learn more about physics and the way the universe works, but because i am 14 and am just starting to learn all of this on my own i have to start from scratch, please present me with any usable information

Unfortunately the question you ask isn't easy to answer without getting into some complicated and confusing concepts. For the time being it may be better just to accept that it happens and wait until you learn more about physics before asking again. (Seriously. I don't even understand it fully. :oops:)

Ruben sellman said:

There is a deep reason that I don't fully understand having to do with special relativity. I'll give it a shot.

Maybe you have heard of something called length contraction. Essentially when an object moves very fast its length actually gets shorter. This was one of the consequences of Einstein's special relativity. Now think about a current flowing through a metal sheet. There is an equal amount of negative and positive charges (since atoms are neutral). The negative charges are moving, say, to the right. If you fasten yourself to one of those negative charges -- that is, consider the system from the reference frame of a negative charge -- it will look like the whole sheet is moving in the opposite direction while you are standing still. OK, the sheet is moving, that means, according to special relativity, that its length contracts. But the sheet has a net positive charge, so if its length contracts, then the charge density of the sheet must increase, and if the charge density of the sheet increases, then there is a higher concentration of positive charge per unit area than negative charge per unit area. Thus applying special relativity to this sheet of current implies that the sheet has a net positive charge, and what do net positive charges do? They repel other positive charges, of course. Remember, though, this was only from the perspective of the charges moving in the sheet. The upshot is that when you move along in the direction of the current, you observe a length contraction, and therefore an electric field perpendicular to the direction of the current. Prior to special relativity (and still today for practical purposes) this effect was called "magnetism."

Be patient, though, you'll get to this stuff.

Likes Magnetons, troglodyte and Isaac0427
Sturk200 said:
There is a deep reason that I don't fully understand having to do with special relativity. I'll give it a shot.

Maybe you have heard of something called length contraction. Essentially when an object moves very fast its length actually gets shorter. This was one of the consequences of Einstein's special relativity. Now think about a current flowing through a metal sheet. There is an equal amount of negative and positive charges (since atoms are neutral). The negative charges are moving, say, to the right. If you fasten yourself to one of those negative charges -- that is, consider the system from the reference frame of a negative charge -- it will look like the whole sheet is moving in the opposite direction while you are standing still. OK, the sheet is moving, that means, according to special relativity, that its length contracts. But the sheet has a net positive charge, so if its length contracts, then the charge density of the sheet must increase, and if the charge density of the sheet increases, then there is a higher concentration of positive charge per unit area than negative charge per unit area. Thus applying special relativity to this sheet of current implies that the sheet has a net positive charge, and what do net positive charges do? They repel other positive charges, of course. Remember, though, this was only from the perspective of the charges moving in the sheet. The upshot is that when you move along in the direction of the current, you observe a length contraction, and therefore an electric field perpendicular to the direction of the current. Prior to special relativity (and still today for practical purposes) this effect was called "magnetism."

Be patient, though, you'll get to this stuff.
Very interesting. I have never actually come across this. Despite it being a very interesting explanation, I must stress to the OP that he should save this answer somewhere, but not try to understand it until he gets a lot more under his belt, including Maxwell's equations as it appears. Trying to learn relativity before I knew a sufficient amount of classical mechanics and calculus just made it harder for me to learn relativity, as I had to forget all the bad physics I taught myself.

Isaac0427 said:
Very interesting. I have never actually come across this. Despite it being a very interesting explanation, I must stress to the OP that he should save this answer somewhere, but not try to understand it until he gets a lot more under his belt, including Maxwell's equations as it appears. Trying to learn relativity before I knew a sufficient amount of classical mechanics and calculus just made it harder for me to learn relativity, as I had to forget all the bad physics I taught myself.

If you're interested, Edward Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism is where I learned about this. But I definitely agree. These ideas are intricate and complex and the only way to really understand them is to build up from the basics.

Sturk200 said:
If you're interested, Edward Purcell's Electricity and Magnetism is where I learned about this.
Thank you very much. I am very interested.

1. How does an electron create a magnetic field?

When an electron moves, it creates a magnetic field around it. This is due to the fact that electrons have a property called "spin," which is a form of angular momentum. As the electron moves, its spin also rotates, creating a tiny magnetic field around it.

2. Why does an electron's movement affect its magnetic field?

The movement of an electron affects its magnetic field because of its charge and spin. The electron's negative charge creates an electric field, and its spin creates a magnetic field. These fields are intertwined and interact with each other, causing the magnetic field to change as the electron moves.

3. Can an electron's magnetic field be turned off?

Yes, an electron's magnetic field can be turned off by stopping its movement. The magnetic field is only created when the electron is in motion, so once it stops moving, the field disappears. Additionally, if an electron's spin is changed, its magnetic field can also be altered or turned off.

4. What is the relationship between an electron's magnetic field and its orbit around an atom's nucleus?

An electron's orbit around an atom's nucleus is a result of the balance between its kinetic energy (due to movement) and the attractive force of the nucleus. As the electron moves, its magnetic field also changes, affecting its orbit. This relationship is described by quantum mechanics and is essential to understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms.

5. How does an electron's magnetic field affect its interactions with other particles?

An electron's magnetic field can affect its interactions with other particles in various ways. For example, the magnetic field can cause an electron to accelerate or change direction when it interacts with a charged particle. It can also influence the strength and direction of the electron's interactions with other magnetic fields, such as those created by other moving particles.