Why does cold air seem to optically zoom in far-away objects?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Fanny Viksten
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have noticed that cold air makes far away objects, such as mountains, appear closer than they do in warm clear weather. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fanny Viksten said:
...appear closer ...
How exactly? Taller? Or clearer?
 
A.T. said:
How exactly? Taller? Or clearer?
They appear larger than when the air is warm. I already stated comparison to a CLEAR warm day, as heat can make the air hazy and of course that would affect their visibility.
 
Fanny Viksten said:
They appear larger than when the air is warm. I already stated comparison to a CLEAR warm day, as heat can make the air hazy and of course that would affect their visibility.
A temperature gradient can act like a lens, and make objects seem taller.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CWatters