Why does ElectroMagnetic radiation propagate forever?

In summary: It does not age. For an object moving at less than c, it ages (and experiences the passage of time) at a rate proportional to the square root of 1 - v^2/c^2. The derivation of that result requires the use of calculus.But, even having said that, we can't talk about the time experienced by a photon, because a photon can't talk. A photon can't have a clock. A clock is a device that requires some sort of periodic motion, or something to count. A photon can't do either of those. So, we can't talk about the passage of
imiyakawa
Hey there,

I am not a physics student, nor have I ever studied physics. I have this question though (read thread title). I have googled for an answer but couldn't find any.

According to Einstein, we are always traveling through the universe at the speed of light. When we are still, A (speed traveling) = 0 and B (rate we are traveling through time time) = c (speed of light). Thus when we move, A increases and B decreases by the same amount.

Since the speed of light is propagating at c, isn't it stationary in the 4th dimension? Is light not aging and thus never dies until it hits something and the energy is transferred? Is that how photons can propagate through a vacuum and never go out...

There might be a real simple answer that physics guys learn I dunno.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
imiyakawa said:
According to Einstein, we are always traveling through the universe at the speed of light. When we are still, A (speed traveling) = 0 and B (rate we are traveling through time time) = c (speed of light). Thus when we move, A increases and B decreases by the same amount.
I don't know where you read that but it is not correct. Massless particles (such a photons) always travel at c, but any massive particle must travel at less than c.
imiyakawa said:
Since the speed of light is propagating at c, isn't it stationary in the 4th dimension?
Once again, I'm not sure where you've read this, but it is not possible to associate a [locally] inertial reference frame with a photon. Therefore, it is non-nonsensical to speak of a photon being stationary in any reference frame.
imiyakawa said:
Is light not aging and thus never dies until it hits something and the energy is transferred? Is that how photons can propagate through a vacuum and never go out...
The reason the photon (and hence the electromagnetic field) has an infinite range is because it is massless. For more information search for Gauge Bosons or Force Mediators.

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
I don't know where you read that but it is not correct. Massless particles (such a photons) always travel at c, but any massive particle must travel at less than c.

You misread what I said. I know 'massive particles' cannot travel the speed of light because as they do they gain mass and would fill up the entire universe in order to travel at that speed. plus an unrealistic amount of energy would be required to travel at that speed.

What you quoted was what Einstein said about how we're always traveling through the universe at c. When we are stationary, we are traveling through the time at c and speed at 0. When we move, we are traveling through time at c - speed. When we physically move, time for us slows down. I know I have a lack of technical jargon but yeah.

Hootenanny said:
Once again, I'm not sure where you've read this, but it is not possible to associate a [locally] inertial reference frame with a photon. Therefore, it is non-nonsensical to speak of a photon being stationary in any reference frame.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say in the first paragraph and it carried through to my second paragraph. I was saying because of what Einstein proposed about how we are continuously traveling through the 3rd+4th dimensions at c, wouldn't the photon never age as time wouldn't pass for that photon since it is obviously traveling at c?

Hootenanny said:
The reason the photon (and hence the electromagnetic field) has an infinite range is because it is massless. For more information search for Gauge Bosons or Force Mediators.

Thanks i'll research this.

WHAT I SAID:

"Since the speed of light is propagating at c, isn't it stationary in the 4th dimension?"

WHAT YOU REPLIED:

"Once again, I'm not sure where you've read this, but it is not possible to associate a [locally] inertial reference frame with a photon. Therefore, it is non-nonsensical to speak of a photon being stationary in any reference frame."

--------

I see where the confusion is now! I'll try to elaborate on my most likely uninformed thought process. What I read was that Einstein proposed that everything in the universe is traveling both through Time and Space at constant c at any given moment. When we are stationary, we are traveling through time at c. When we move, we are travling through space at the speed we are moving and through time at c - speed. So based on this since a photon is propagating at constant c, shouldn't time be stationary for this photon?

imiyakawa said:
What you quoted was what Einstein said about how we're always traveling through the universe at c. When we are stationary, we are traveling through the time at c and speed at 0. When we move, we are traveling through time at c - speed. When we physically move, time for us slows down. I know I have a lack of technical jargon but yeah.
I'm 99.9% sure that Einstein said no such thing. I know that similar things have been written by popular science authors who commonly associate the notion of observers traveling though space-time at a speed c, however, I've never come across an actual citation referencing Einstein as saying such things.
imiyakawa said:
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say in the first paragraph and it carried through to my second paragraph. I was saying because of what Einstein proposed about how we are continuously traveling through the 3rd+4th dimensions at c, wouldn't the photon never age as time wouldn't pass for that photon since it is obviously traveling at c?
As I said above, I'm pretty sure that Einstein never proposed anything like what you have said. Brushing that aside for a minute, what is this 3rd dimension you are referring to?

In relativity, time is a relative concept. The time between two events (think two ticks of a clock) depends on the observer. So, in reference to your question regarding the passage of time for a photon, I ask "from who's point of view"?

1. Why does electromagnetic radiation propagate forever?

Electromagnetic radiation, also known as light, is a form of energy that travels in waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through, so they can continue propagating indefinitely.

2. Can anything stop electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation can be absorbed or scattered by certain materials, such as metals or gases, but it cannot be completely stopped or destroyed. It will continue to propagate until it is absorbed or scattered.

3. How does electromagnetic radiation propagate through space?

In the vacuum of space, electromagnetic radiation travels at the speed of light in a straight line. This is because there are no particles or obstacles to slow it down or change its direction.

4. Does the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation affect its propagation?

Yes, the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation does affect its propagation. Longer wavelengths, such as radio waves, can travel farther than shorter wavelengths, such as gamma rays. This is because longer wavelengths have lower energy and are less likely to be absorbed or scattered by particles in the atmosphere.

5. How is electromagnetic radiation different from other types of waves?

Unlike other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves, electromagnetic radiation does not require a medium to travel through. It can also travel at the speed of light, while other waves travel much slower. Additionally, electromagnetic radiation can travel through a vacuum, whereas other waves need a medium to propagate.