Why does signal energy use the magnitude squared in the integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
cybernoodles
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

I am confused about what is meant in the mathematical definition for the energy of a signal. Why is it the integral of the magnitude of the signal squared?

∫(|f(t)|^2)

How do I deal with the absolute value sign? I do not have much experience with absolute value signs in integrals. I did do a search but am still confused. How do I even know if a function will need to be readjusted according to the absolute value sign and, if so, how do I rewrite the function so that it obeys the absolute value condition?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
If [itex]f(t)[/itex] is a real-valued function the absolute values just "go away", because [tex]|f\,|^2 = |f\,| \times |f\,| = f\,{}^2[/tex]
is always true - it doesn't matter whether [itex]f[/itex] is positive, negative, or zero.

If [itex]f[/itex] is a complex-valued function and [itex]f(t) = p(t) + i\,q(t)[/itex], then
[tex]|f\,|^2 = p^2 + q^2[/tex]
 
cybernoodles said:
Wow that was so simple.

Somebody once said, "There are only two types of math problem: the trivial ones that you know how to solve, and the impossible ones that you don't" :smile: