1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the electron have a magnetic moment?

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    Hi.

I thought magnetic moment arose from closed loops of charge currents. How does then the angular momentum of the electron produce a magnetic moment? I mean, the electron is not a loop.

Am I wrong in my initial assumption or am I understanding things too "classically"?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are thinking too classically. The electron's magnetic moment arises from the relativistic QM Dirac equation for the electron.

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need Dirac's equation to derive the magnetic moment of the electron. Pauli's nonrelativistic equation will suffice.

5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    I see. Then saying that the magnetic moment arises from its rotation and its charge is just oversimplifying things, right?

6. Apr 12, 2014 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. Pauli's equation can include the moment, but does not derive it as a necessity.

7. Apr 13, 2014 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pauli's equation always includes the magnetic moment, because it automatically includes the spin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook