Why does the following function equate to a delta in classical feild theory

In summary, the delta function is a mathematical tool used in classical field theory to model point-like sources and calculate their effects on the field. It is defined as a limit of a sequence of functions that converge to a function with a value of zero everywhere except at the point of interest where it has a value of infinity. The integral of the delta function allows us to calculate the effect of a point-like source on the field at a specific point, and it can also be extended to higher dimensions. Its use greatly simplifies calculations in classical field theory by treating point-like sources as continuous fields, eliminating the need for complicated calculations and allowing for standard integration techniques to be used.
Fwahnak

Homework Statement

Can anyone remember a decent argument/derivation for the following representation of the delta function.

Homework Equations

[tex]$ \nabla^2 \frac{1}{|r|} =\delta(r)$[/tex]

(probally up to some multipicative constant [tex]$\frac{1}{2\pi}$[/tex] or something

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I've seen an agrument in jackson but I don't have a copy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've no confidence that I've latexed that correctly and my work computer won't show me the symbols so here's the equation in equation again

div(grad(1/|r|)) is proportional to deltafunction(r)

1. Why is a delta function used in classical field theory?

The delta function, or Dirac delta function, is a mathematical tool used to represent a point-like source in a field. In classical field theory, fields are continuous and can have infinitely small changes at any given point. The delta function allows us to model these point-like sources and calculate their effects on the field.

2. How is the delta function defined in classical field theory?

In classical field theory, the delta function is defined as a limit of a sequence of functions that have a peak of increasing height and decreasing width, centered at the point of interest. This sequence of functions converges to the delta function, which has a value of zero everywhere except at the point of interest where it has a value of infinity.

3. What is the significance of the delta function's integral in classical field theory?

The integral of the delta function over a certain region gives the value of the function at that point. This is significant in classical field theory as it allows us to calculate the effect of a point-like source on the field at a specific point. It also allows us to integrate the field over a volume to calculate the total effect of all point-like sources within that volume.

4. Can the delta function be extended to higher dimensions in classical field theory?

Yes, the delta function can be extended to higher dimensions in classical field theory. In one dimension, the delta function is a line of infinite height at the point of interest. In two dimensions, it is a surface of infinite height, and in three dimensions, it is a volume of infinite height. This extension allows us to model point-like sources in higher dimensions as well.

5. How does the use of the delta function simplify calculations in classical field theory?

The delta function greatly simplifies calculations in classical field theory by allowing us to treat point-like sources as continuous fields. This eliminates the need for complicated calculations involving these point-like sources and allows us to focus on the behavior of the field as a whole. It also allows us to use standard integration techniques to solve problems involving point-like sources.