Tricky integration (maybe delta function)

In summary: I was getting a little lost there. In summary, the person is trying to integrate a function, but is having trouble understanding how to do it. They have tried substitution and integration by parts, but neither of those seem to be working. They have found a delta function in the equation, and used that to simplify the equation. Finally, they have differentiated the equation under the integral sign and found that they need two boundary conditions.
Kara386

Homework Statement

I need to integrate

##\frac{A}{2a\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ik(x+x')}}{(b^2+k^2)}dk##

I have tried substitution and integration by parts and that hasn't worked. I can see that part of it is the delta function, but I don't really know how to use that fact! I think the delta function is

##\delta(x+x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ik(x+x')}dk##

Which is almost exactly what I have. If it helps, this is from trying to reverse Fourier transform a function. How can I integrate this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a contour integration in the complex plane.

Likes Kara386
vela said:
Try a contour integration in the complex plane.
That sounds well beyond anything we've been taught! I've never heard of contour integration, in the complex plane or otherwise... Is that the only method?

Maybe I have the integral wrong, let me double check.

Kara386 said:

Homework Statement

I need to integrate

##\frac{A}{2a\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ik(x+x')}}{(b^2+k^2)}dk##

I have tried substitution and integration by parts and that hasn't worked. I can see that part of it is the delta function, but I don't really know how to use that fact! I think the delta function is

##\delta(x+x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ik(x+x')}dk##

Which is almost exactly what I have. If it helps, this is from trying to reverse Fourier transform a function. How can I integrate this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##x+x'= y##, so you want to evaluate
[tex] I(y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\exp(iky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk. [/tex]
Write ##\exp(iky) = \cos(ky) + i \sin(ky)##, and note that in the integral the denominator is even in ##k##, while ##\sin(ky)## is odd in ##k##. Therefore, without any need for computation we conclude that the imaginary part = 0 because the "##\sin##" term integrates to zero for any fixed ##y##. Thus, we have
[tex] I(y) = 2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk.[/tex]

Assuming we can legitimately differentiate wrt ##y## under the integral sign, we have
[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}\frac{d^2}{dy^2} I(y) &= &2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-k^2 \cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
&=& -2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{(k^2 + b^2 - b^2)\cos(ky)}{k^2 + b^2} \\
&=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + 2 b^2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
&=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + b^2 I(y)
\end{array}
[/tex]
Thus, you have a DE ##I''(y) - b^2 I(y) = f(y)##, where ##f(y) = -2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dk##. Do you recognize ##f(y)## from somewhere?

Of course, to get the full ##I(y)## you need two boundary conditions on ##I(y)##, such as values of ##I(0)## and ##I'(0)##, and both of these can be obtained from results you have seen already (or can derive on your own).

There remains a serious issue, however: we just carelessly differentiated under the integral sign and further split the resulting integral into two separate integrations. Those manipulations need justification, but for now I will leave it.

Likes Kara386
Kara386 said:
That sounds well beyond anything we've been taught! I've never heard of contour integration, in the complex plane or otherwise... Is that the only method?
Are you allowed to just look the transform in a table?

Likes Kara386
Ray Vickson said:
Let ##x+x'= y##, so you want to evaluate
[tex] I(y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\exp(iky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk. [/tex]
Write ##\exp(iky) = \cos(ky) + i \sin(ky)##, and note that in the integral the denominator is even in ##k##, while ##\sin(ky)## is odd in ##k##. Therefore, without any need for computation we conclude that the imaginary part = 0 because the "##\sin##" term integrates to zero for any fixed ##y##. Thus, we have
[tex] I(y) = 2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk.[/tex]

Assuming we can legitimately differentiate wrt ##y## under the integral sign, we have
[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}\frac{d^2}{dy^2} I(y) &= &2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-k^2 \cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
&=& -2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{(k^2 + b^2 - b^2)\cos(ky)}{k^2 + b^2} \\
&=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + 2 b^2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
&=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + b^2 I(y)
\end{array}
[/tex]
Thus, you have a DE ##I''(y) - b^2 I(y) = f(y)##, where ##f(y) = -2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dk##. Do you recognize ##f(y)## from somewhere?

Of course, to get the full ##I(y)## you need two boundary conditions on ##I(y)##, such as values of ##I(0)## and ##I'(0)##, and both of these can be obtained from results you have seen already (or can derive on your own).

There remains a serious issue, however: we just carelessly differentiated under the integral sign and further split the resulting integral into two separate integrations. Those manipulations need justification, but for now I will leave it.

Brilliant, thank you!

vela said:
Are you allowed to just look the transform in a table?
Maybe! I don't think we've been taught the right techniques to actually evaluate it. I'll ask my lecturer about the tables. Thanks for helping! :)

What is a delta function?

A delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except at x=0, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent a point-like or infinitely sharp peak in a function.

How is a delta function used in integration?

The delta function can be used to simplify difficult integration problems by breaking them down into simpler integrals. It is often used to represent a distribution of mass or charge at a single point, making it useful in solving problems involving point particles or point sources.

What is the relationship between a delta function and its derivative?

The derivative of a delta function is known as the delta function's "derivative distribution." This distribution is defined as the negative of the derivative of the delta function, and it has the property that when integrated over any interval containing x=0, the result is 1.

Can a delta function be graphed?

Technically, a delta function cannot be graphed because it is a distribution rather than a traditional function. However, it can be represented graphically as an infinitely tall and narrow spike at x=0, with a width of 0.

How is the delta function related to the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, named after physicist Paul Dirac, is another name for the delta function. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, and is defined in the same way as the delta function: as a function that is zero everywhere except at x=0 where it is infinite.