1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky integration (maybe delta function)

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to integrate

##\frac{A}{2a\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ik(x+x')}}{(b^2+k^2)}dk##

I have tried substitution and integration by parts and that hasn't worked. I can see that part of it is the delta function, but I don't really know how to use that fact! I think the delta function is

##\delta(x+x') = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{ik(x+x')}dk##

Which is almost exactly what I have. If it helps, this is from trying to reverse Fourier transform a function. How can I integrate this?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try a contour integration in the complex plane.

4. Mar 8, 2016 #3
    That sounds well beyond anything we've been taught! I've never heard of contour integration, in the complex plane or otherwise... Is that the only method?

5. Mar 8, 2016 #4
    Maybe I have the integral wrong, let me double check.

6. Mar 8, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let ##x+x'= y##, so you want to evaluate
    [tex] I(y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\exp(iky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk. [/tex]
    Write ##\exp(iky) = \cos(ky) + i \sin(ky)##, and note that in the integral the denominator is even in ##k##, while ##\sin(ky)## is odd in ##k##. Therefore, without any need for computation we conclude that the imaginary part = 0 because the "##\sin##" term integrates to zero for any fixed ##y##. Thus, we have
    [tex] I(y) = 2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk.[/tex]

Assuming we can legitimately differentiate wrt ##y## under the integral sign, we have
    [tex] \begin{array}{rcl}\frac{d^2}{dy^2} I(y) &= &2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-k^2 \cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
    &=& -2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{(k^2 + b^2 - b^2)\cos(ky)}{k^2 + b^2} \\
    &=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + 2 b^2 \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\cos(ky)}{k^2+b^2} \, dk \\
    &=& - 2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dy + b^2 I(y)
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    Thus, you have a DE ##I''(y) - b^2 I(y) = f(y)##, where ##f(y) = -2 \int_0^{\infty} \cos(ky) \, dk##. Do you recognize ##f(y)## from somewhere?

Of course, to get the full ##I(y)## you need two boundary conditions on ##I(y)##, such as values of ##I(0)## and ##I'(0)##, and both of these can be obtained from results you have seen already (or can derive on your own).

There remains a serious issue, however: we just carelessly differentiated under the integral sign and further split the resulting integral into two separate integrations. Those manipulations need justification, but for now I will leave it.

7. Mar 8, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you allowed to just look the transform in a table?

8. Mar 9, 2016 #7
    Brilliant, thank you!

9. Mar 9, 2016 #8
    Maybe! I don't think we've been taught the right techniques to actually evaluate it. I'll ask my lecturer about the tables. Thanks for helping! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted