Why doesn't this matrix represent a rotation?

In summary, the matrix is not representing a rotation because it does not follow the form of rotation, which is cos x -sin x.
Aziza
The matrix is

| 1/2 -1/2 |
| 1/2 1/2 |

Why is this matrix not representing a rotation?

The form of rotation is

| cos x -sin x |
|sin x cos x |

So in this case tan x = 1 and so x = 45...isn't this rotation of 45 degrees?On similar note, for the matrix

| 5 6 |
| -6 5 |

it says it is a rotation of [itex]\theta[/itex] = arctan (-6/5), which I assumed was obtained by saying that cos x = 5 and sin x = -6 so tan x = -6/5...so what is the difference between this example and my problem?edit: for the second example, it actually states that this matrix is a rotation combined with scaling. Is this the main reason why the first problem can't be considered just rotation? Because it is actually also scaled? I mean that the rotation formula I gave was derived using the unit vectors, but the vectors represented by the first problem are not unit because their length is 1/2 not 1...? Idk this seems like trivial difference though..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aziza said:
The matrix is

| 1/2 -1/2 |
| 1/2 1/2 |

Why is this matrix not representing a rotation?

The form of rotation is

| cos x -sin x |
|sin x cos x |

So in this case tan x = 1 and so x = 45...isn't this rotation of 45 degrees?On similar note, for the matrix

| 5 6 |
| -6 5 |

it says it is a rotation of [itex]\theta[/itex] = arctan (-6/5), which I assumed was obtained by saying that cos x = 5 and sin x = -6 so tan x = -6/5...so what is the difference between this example and my problem?edit: for the second example, it actually states that this matrix is a rotation combined with scaling. Is this the main reason why the first problem can't be considered just rotation? Because it is actually also scaled?

Yes, sin(45 degrees)=1/sqrt(2), not 1/2. The determinant of the matrix isn't 1. What is it? It can't be a simple rotation.

sin 45 does equal cos 45, but they don't equal 1/2. That may be a rotation in an Escher drawing.

marty1 said:
sin 45 does equal cos 45, but they don't equal 1/2. That may be a rotation in an Escher drawing.

Then how was the angle of rotation found in the second example?

Dick said:
Yes, sin(45 degrees)=1/sqrt(2), not 1/2. The determinant of the matrix isn't 1. What is it? It can't be a simple rotation.

The determinant is 1/2, but why is that significant?

Aziza said:
Then how was the angle of rotation found in the second example?

Both matrices are a rotation times a scaling. The determinant of the matrix determines the scaling part for these examples.

Dick said:
Both matrices are a rotation times a scaling. The determinant of the matrix determines the scaling part for these examples.

But then how are the angles found?

Ohhh i see why the matrix with the 1/2 entries is not 'real' rotation...the vector is basically going from (1/2,0) to the point (1/2, 1/2), so it is not moving along a circle. But you can consider it that the vector rotated by pi/4 and scaled at the same time...is this right?

Aziza said:
But then how are the angles found?

Factor out the square root of the determinant. If don't then you'll make statements like cos(theta)=5. There no such angle. What's left will be a rotation matrix. Then use arccos and arcsin. Then realize that you didn't have to factor the determinant out at all to get the correct arctan. BTW not all matrices can be factored into a scaling times a rotation. These are special.

Aziza said:
Ohhh i see why the matrix with the 1/2 entries is not 'real' rotation...the vector is basically going from (1/2,0) to the point (1/2, 1/2), so it is not moving along a circle. But you can consider it that the vector rotated by pi/4 and scaled at the same time...is this right?

Right in principle, not in detail. (1,0) goes to (1/2,1/2), (1/2,0) goes to (1/4,1/4). But you've got the right idea.

Dick said:
Right in principle, not in detail. (1,0) goes to (1/2,1/2), (1/2,0) goes to (1/4,1/4). But you've got the right idea.

OHHH i see! thank you so much

1. Why is this matrix not representing a rotation?

The matrix in question may not be representing a rotation because it does not have the necessary properties to do so. Rotational matrices must be square, have a determinant of 1, and have orthogonal columns. If any of these properties are not met, the matrix will not represent a rotation.

2. Can a non-square matrix represent a rotation?

No, a non-square matrix cannot represent a rotation. Rotational matrices must have an equal number of rows and columns in order to properly rotate a vector in n-dimensional space.

3. What does the determinant have to do with representing a rotation?

The determinant of a rotational matrix must be equal to 1. This is because the determinant represents the scaling factor of the matrix, and a rotation should not change the magnitude of a vector, only its direction. If the determinant is not 1, the matrix will not represent a rotation.

4. Why do the columns of a rotational matrix need to be orthogonal?

The columns of a rotational matrix need to be orthogonal in order to ensure that the matrix preserves the length of a vector. Orthogonal columns mean that the dot product of any two columns is equal to 0, which ensures that the length of a vector will not change when multiplied by the matrix.

5. Are there any other properties that a matrix must have to represent a rotation?

Yes, in addition to being square, having a determinant of 1, and having orthogonal columns, a rotational matrix must also have a transpose that is equal to its inverse. This ensures that the matrix can be easily inverted to return a vector to its original position after rotation.