Why don't rational numbers fulfill the completeness axiom?

In summary: And you _can_ use real numbers to define sets of rational numbers. It is perfectly valid to use the subset \{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<\sqrt{2}\}. The fact that the irrationals are not in this set is irrelevant. It is a set of rationals, defined using a real number. And it has no supremum in ##\mathbb{Q}##, so it serves as a counterexample to the completeness axiom.
johnqwertyful

Homework Statement

Show that Q does not fulfill the completeness axiom.

Homework Equations

"Every non empty set of rational numbers that contains an upper bound contains a least upper bound" (show this is false)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sat on this question for a few days, but I can't think of ANYTHING. I tried thinking of trying to show the opposite, to see where it would lead me. I couldn't start there. Any help JUST getting started?

I understand what the completeness axiom is. I understand what rational numbers are. I have no clue how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnqwertyful said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

"Every non empty set of rational numbers that contains an upper bound contains a least upper bound" (show this is false)

I've sat on this question for a few days, but I can't think of ANYTHING. I tried thinking of trying to show the opposite, to see where it would lead me. I couldn't start there. Any help JUST getting started?

I understand what the completeness axiom is. I understand what rational numbers are. I have no clue how to start.

Consider the set of rationals whose square is less than 2. Does that set have an LUB?

johnqwertyful said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

All you need is a counterexample. As Steve said, you can consider the set of rationals that are strictly less than the square root of 2; this set is clearly bounded by a rational number, e.g. 2, but you cannot construct an LUB.

If you prefer a constructive counterexample, consider the set of rationals constructed from the partial sums for the Taylor's expansion for e (the base of natural logs). Can you see why the set is rational and bounded, but has no LUB?

Last edited:
SteveL27 said:
Consider the set of rationals whose square is less than 2. Does that set have an LUB?

I can't believe it was that simple, thanks so much. I've been thinking about it for a few days. It's so obvious now, I can't believe I didn't get it before.

Curious3141 said:
All you need is a counterexample. As Steve said, you can consider the set of rationals that are strictly less than the square root of 2; this set is clearly bounded by a rational number, e.g. 2, but you cannot construct an LUB.

Actually Steve didn't say that, he said "square less than 2", which is completely different from square root of 2, because the set of rationals doesn't contain square root of 2 and therefore you cannot use that to test completeness. But of course the equivalent square less than 2. Which doesn't contain irrationals per se.

dr.vj said:
Actually Steve didn't say that, he said "square less than 2", which is completely different from square root of 2, because the set of rationals doesn't contain square root of 2 and therefore you cannot use that to test completeness. But of course the equivalent square less than 2. Which doesn't contain irrationals per se.

But ##\sqrt{2}## is a real number, and you can compare rational numbers with real numbers. So if you take

[tex]\{x\in \mathbb{Q}~\vert~x<\sqrt{2}\}[/tex]

then that's a perfectly valid set in ##\mathbb{Q}##. So Curious was right.

Yes, your'e right. sqrt of 2 belongs to real numbers and that is the exact reason, why we cannot use it for defining incompleteness of rational numbers. You can use, as Steve said "set of rationals whose square is less than 2". Because 2 belongs to rationals, but sqrt 2 doesn't.
It is this small difference that lead to the proof of completeness and hence we say real numbers are complete. Whereas rationals have infinite holes more than the infinite amount of rationals itself.

R136a1 said:

I think it is a big mistake to say that x less than sqrt(2), earlier you said x belongs to rationals, but sqrt(2) is not rational, it is real. You cannot just take some thing from real number system for defining something in rationals.

dr.vj said:
I think it is a big mistake to say that x less than sqrt(2), earlier you said x belongs to rationals, but sqrt(2) is not rational, it is real. You cannot just take some thing from real number system for defining something in rationals.

The only thing you want is to find a subset of ##\mathbb{Q}## that has no supremum in ##\mathbb{Q}##. And

is a perfectly valid subset of ##\mathbb{Q}##. There is nobody that says that you can't use real numbers to define sets of rational numbers (unless the OP didn't define the real numbers yet).

And ##\sqrt{2}## is not in the set anyway, so you don't include any irrationals.

R136a1 said:
There is nobody that says that you can't use real numbers to define sets of rational numbers

I have a video of Stanford mathematician Keith Devlin talking about this particular aspect of why you can't define in terms of real numbers for proving something about rational numbers.
He in particular worked out this proof without going anywhere near real numbers.

R136a1 said:
is a perfectly valid subset of ##\mathbb{Q}##.

sqrt(2) is not in any subset of rationals. Absolutely not true!

We have to use sets of rationals and the argument is about rationals and not reals.
Hence I conclude.

dr.vj said:
sqrt(2) is not in any subset of rationals. Absolutely not true!

Sure, I agree. I never said that, did I?

Please explain to me why

does not define a valid set of rational numbers.

johnqwertyful said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I am suspicious of your statement of the completeness axiom; the problem occurs with your word 'contains'---as in "... contains an upper bound...". This seems to say that the upper bound itself is in the set we are discussing, and so is rational. (That would automatically eliminate such counterexamples as have already been shown to you, because those sets would not actually 'contain' an upper bound that is rational---so they do not contradict your statement). Statements of the completeness axiom that I have seen all say more-or-less the same thing: "every nonempty upper-bounded set of real numbers contains a least upper bound", or maybe "every bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound". (Note that these do NOT claim that the original upper bound is in the set itself!) You want to show that if you substitute the word "rational" for "real" you no longer have a true statement. That is NOT quite you stated!

In fact, as stated the result is false: if we have a set ##S \subset \mathbb{Q}## which contains an upper bound ##u \in \mathbb{Q}##, then ##u## IS a least upper-bound of ##S##, because ##u## is an upper bound and no number smaller than ##u## is an upper bound (as that would exclude ##u##).

Last edited:
R136a1 said:
Sure, I agree. I never said that, did I?

Please explain to me why

does not define a valid set of rational numbers.

Hi
Since I am not a real expert and I am just starting to self-teach maths in my part-time, I asked another expert and his answer was:

The problem with using √2 in your definition of the set is due to the fact that you are working in the rationals, defining a set of rational numbers and, as we all know by now, √2 is not a rational so doesn't exist while we are in the rationals. If we were in the reals then √2 would be there, but in the rationals it is a hole in the number line. How can you use something that doesn't exist to define your set?
It is a bit like trying to imagine a four dimensional object in our three dimensional world, you are pretty sure it exists but know nothing about it, so would not use it to describe anything else - you stick to what you know in your world.

In my opinion, it is like defining Earthians by describing a property that Martians hold.

Vijay.

The set is well-defined as long as you can use the existence of the real numbers. You have to be careful if you are in a real analysis course where you are going to construct the real numbers from the rationals, because in that context you cannot assume that sqrt(2) is an irrational number (or that it's a number at all!)

Likes chwala
dr.vj said:
Hi
Since I am not a real expert and I am just starting to self-teach maths in my part-time, I asked another expert and his answer was:

The problem with using √2 in your definition of the set is due to the fact that you are working in the rationals, defining a set of rational numbers and, as we all know by now, √2 is not a rational so doesn't exist while we are in the rationals. If we were in the reals then √2 would be there, but in the rationals it is a hole in the number line. How can you use something that doesn't exist to define your set?
It is a bit like trying to imagine a four dimensional object in our three dimensional world, you are pretty sure it exists but know nothing about it, so would not use it to describe anything else - you stick to what you know in your world.

In my opinion, it is like defining Earthians by describing a property that Martians hold.

Vijay.

Well, your expert is wrong.

As long as you defined the real numbers, the set is perfectly well-defined and a subset of the rationals. If you did not yet define the real numbers, then I agree there is a problem.

The condition ##x<\sqrt{2}## is perfectly well-defined for rational numbers ##x## because inequalities between real numbers are well-defined and because every rational number is real.

Likewise, the set

[tex]\{x\in \mathbb{Z}~\vert~x= 1/2\}[/tex]

Is a perfectly well-defined subset of ##\mathbb{Z}## that happens to be the empty set.

Office_Shredder said:
The set is well-defined as long as you can use the existence of the real numbers. You have to be careful if you are in a real analysis course where you are going to construct the real numbers from the rationals, because in that context you cannot assume that sqrt(2) is an irrational number (or that it's a number at all!)

I think you gave the perfect reasoning for this. As I have stated before about the Stanford mathematician, he was actually teaching real analysis, where we don't have prior knowledge of these numbers. Thanks.

1. Why are rational numbers not considered complete?

The completeness axiom states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound or supremum. However, rational numbers do not fulfill this axiom because there are gaps or missing values between them. For example, there is no rational number between 1 and 2, making it impossible to find a least upper bound for the set of rational numbers between 1 and 2.

2. How do irrational numbers fulfill the completeness axiom?

Irrational numbers, such as pi or the square root of 2, are considered complete because they do not have any gaps or missing values between them. This means that for any non-empty set of irrational numbers that is bounded above, there will always be a least upper bound or supremum that is also an irrational number.

3. Are there any other types of numbers that fulfill the completeness axiom?

Yes, there are other types of numbers that fulfill the completeness axiom, such as algebraic numbers and transcendental numbers. Algebraic numbers are numbers that can be expressed as the solution to a polynomial equation with rational coefficients, while transcendental numbers cannot be expressed as the solution to such an equation.

4. How does the completeness axiom relate to the concept of infinity?

The completeness axiom is closely related to the concept of infinity. It states that every bounded set of real numbers must have a least upper bound, which implies that there are no gaps or missing values in the set. This idea of being "complete" is often associated with the concept of infinity because it suggests that there are no numbers beyond what is already included in the set.

5. Can the completeness axiom be applied to other mathematical systems?

Yes, the completeness axiom can be applied to other mathematical systems, such as complex numbers or matrices. In these systems, the completeness axiom may have a slightly different definition, but the concept remains the same - every bounded set must have a least upper bound. However, there are some mathematical systems, such as the p-adic numbers, where the completeness axiom does not hold.