Why don't superconductors emit a lot of heat?

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I just heard someone say a superconducting electromagnet does not produce heat, which I find very strange, since it seems that, since rate of heat energy being dissipated = voltage^2/resistance. Taking the limit as resistance goes to 0, with voltage held constant, power approaches infinity. I remember reading that resistance is not exactly zero, but it's very close, so it stands to reason that this low of a resistance should produce a ton of heat. Hence, confusion.

Thanks for your help.

Answers and Replies

I am not intimately familiar with superconducting magnet technology, but I can say this: super conductors have zero electrical resistance. Not a small amount, not practically zero, but exactly zero. It's some weird quantum mechanical effect that I can't remember the name of, but there is literally 0 ohms resistance in a superconducting wire. That's why they are such a huge deal.

If your intuition can't grasp how it can be exactly zero, don't worry. Quantum mechanics is beyond any form of human intuition.

vk6kro
Science Advisor
Hi everyone, just a quick question.

I just heard someone say a superconducting electromagnet does not produce heat, which I find very strange, since it seems that, since rate of heat energy being dissipated = voltage^2/resistance. Taking the limit as resistance goes to 0, with voltage held constant, power approaches infinity. I remember reading that resistance is not exactly zero, but it's very close, so it stands to reason that this low of a resistance should produce a ton of heat. Hence, confusion.

Thanks for your help.
The heat produced is also zero because you can't produce a voltage across zero resistance without infinite current.

A better formula would be Power = I2 times R
So whatever current you do send through the superconductor is multiplied by zero to give you zero power.

MATLABdude
Science Advisor
This comes up on this forum every so often, but the very definition of a superconductor is that it has zero resistance. If you get a current circulating around in one (pumping via Lenz's Law) it'll keep on going forever (or until the superconductor warms up, stops becoming a superconductor, and blows up / melts down instead):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=250863

Okay that makes sense, I thought it was near zero, not exactly. Thanks for clearing it up.