Why don't the glaciers just melt?

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary, glaciers are constantly gaining and losing ice due to temperature, weather patterns, and physical properties. They can be described as "living" because they can constantly gain and lose ice. They are highly reflective so they don't absorb sunlight as easily, and they can get dirty from dust and soot. Once they get dirty, sunlight can start to break through and melt the ice.
TSN79
So I was looking at a map of my country (Norway), and we have a couple of glaciers. Now, I understand that when they're at high altitude they don't melt, but I saw some of them reaching down as low as 300 meters above sea level. How come they don't just melt...? It's 20 C for like 5-6 months!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
They are continuously replenished through rain and snow.

I get that, but down to 300 meters...? I figured it would melt much more than what comes down...

I think part of it is that the ice reflects a lot of light.

Is it 20 C at the glaciers? What is the temperature at night? What is the water temperatures in the vicinity of the glaciers?

There's a lot glacial mass compared to air mass.

TSN79 said:
So I was looking at a map of my country (Norway), and we have a couple of glaciers. Now, I understand that when they're at high altitude they don't melt, but I saw some of them reaching down as low as 300 meters above sea level. How come they don't just melt...? It's 20 C for like 5-6 months!

Partly for the same reason snow remains in shaded areas of my backyard that the sun doesn't reach long after the other snow has melted and air temperatures have risen above freezing. It takes a lot of heat to melt snow and ice because water has a higher specific heat than air and most other substances. It takes over 4 times more heat to raise the temperature of a gram of water than is needed to raise the temperature of a gram of air. The exact amount varies with air pressure and the water content of the air. Thus a lot of warm air is required to melt ice.

Another factor is that glaciers could be described as "living". They may continually gain and lose ice. Ice forms on the top as moisture accumulates from snow or freezing rain. the added weight causes the glacier to move downhill where the terrain allows such movement. Even if the ice at the low end melts, more ice can form on the top giving the appearance that ice at the low end is not melting.

If melting ice evaporates it rises and then refreezes if it passes over the glacier.

Glacial Ice often forms hundreds of years ago at higher elevation and slides down the channels toward the ocean in SLOW motion. It will melt in the ocean or on its way downhill.

Your glaciers probably are melting towards higher elevations. 300m could be 400m or higher above sea level in 2 to 20 years.

There is also the downdraft effect. A glacier is a patch of ice that gets so big that it creates its own weather pattern. The melt energy taken from the air around a glacier creates cool air outflow, causing low pressure that can pull downdrafts out of the cold upper layers of the atmosphere. It can cause condensation and cloud formation. It can cause snow that will increase its growth.

As was mentioned by others the Ice is highly reflective so even if it doesn't cover itself in clouds it will still be almost unaffected by sunlight. Once it gets dirty from dust and soot or from grinding its way down a mountain valley, that all changes and solar heat trapped in darker glacial mix will carve through the ice.

1. Why are glaciers melting?

Glaciers are melting due to a combination of natural and human-caused factors. The main reason is the increase in global temperatures caused by the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation. This leads to a rise in atmospheric greenhouse gases, which traps heat and causes the Earth's temperature to increase. As a result, glaciers begin to melt at a faster rate than they can accumulate new snow and ice.

2. Are all glaciers melting at the same rate?

No, not all glaciers are melting at the same rate. The rate at which glaciers melt depends on factors such as location, size, and surrounding climate. Some glaciers may be more vulnerable to melting due to their location in warmer regions or their smaller size, while others may be more resilient due to their location in colder regions or their larger size. However, overall, most glaciers around the world are experiencing a significant decline in mass and volume.

3. Can we stop or reverse glacier melting?

It is difficult to completely stop or reverse glacier melting. However, we can slow down the rate of melting by reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and taking steps to mitigate the effects of climate change. This includes transitioning to renewable energy sources, conserving forests, and implementing sustainable practices in agriculture and industry. Additionally, we can also take measures to protect glaciers, such as creating shade barriers to block sunlight and using artificial snow to prevent melting.

4. How do melting glaciers affect the environment?

The melting of glaciers has a significant impact on the environment. It contributes to sea-level rise, which can lead to coastal flooding and erosion. It also affects the availability of freshwater in regions where glaciers are a major source of water for rivers and lakes. The loss of glaciers can also disrupt ecosystems and threaten biodiversity, as many species rely on glaciers for their habitats and food sources.

5. What are the long-term consequences of glacier melting?

The long-term consequences of glacier melting are far-reaching and severe. As glaciers continue to melt, it can lead to more frequent and intense natural disasters, such as floods, landslides, and droughts. It can also disrupt agricultural patterns and food security, as well as impact human settlements and economies. Additionally, the melting of glaciers can contribute to the destabilization of the Earth's climate, leading to further warming and environmental changes.