Why flow of electrons through a conductor produce magnetic field

In summary: If not, can you give a summary of what the book says?In summary, the book says that the spin of the electron is responsible for the magnetic field that it produces.
akashpandey
i want to know why flow of electron produces magnetic field
sombody says this is because of spin of electron or because of flow of charge or relativity of flowing electron.
anybody please clear my confusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with the spin of the electron. You can take it in two ways. Both are accepted because they fit in a mathematically consistent theory that describes what we observe.

1) It is a fundamental postulate (Ampere's law, one of Maxwell's equations) that the flow of charge produces a magnetic field. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_circuital_law

2) Ampere's law can be understood as a requirement for consistency between electrostatics and special relativity. A very good explanation of this point of view is found in Purcell's and Ohanian's textbooks, as well as Daniel Schroeder's http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/MRRtalk.html.

Edit: Although the electron spin is not responsible for Ampere's law, there is a magnetic field associated with the electron spin, which can be seen in phenomena such as electron spin resonance: https://project-physicsteaching.web...h/experiments/electron-spin-resonance-qrg.pdf (I didn't read it carefully, but it seems like a non-crackpot link although it adheres to some theory called quantom physics!)

Last edited:
akashpandey said:
sombody says this is because of spin of electron

Who says this?

spin effect the magnetic field produced due flow of electron.
i my textbook this thing is written.
thats why i am confused.
why there is relation between relativity and magnetic field produce due to flow of electron

akashpandey said:
i my textbook this thing is written.
thats why i am confused.
why there is relation between relativity and magnetic field produce due to flow of electron

A movie is like a 1000 words*fps*time.

akashpandey said:

That not true. Your textbook is unlikely to have said that because its false. If it did you can tell your teacher it needs to be corrected.

Spin is a quantum effect but heuristically its viewed like a spinning point charge which from Maxwell's equations has a magnetic field. That the electrons spin has nothing to do with their flow through a conductor which also produces a magnetic field.

Thanks
Bill

akashpandey said:

Is the book written in English? If it is, can you give us an exact quotation from it?

1. How do electrons produce a magnetic field?

When electrons move through a conductor, they create a circular magnetic field around the conductor. This is due to the fact that electrons have a property called spin, which creates a small magnetic field around the electron. When many electrons are moving in the same direction through a conductor, their individual magnetic fields align and create a larger magnetic field around the conductor.

2. Why do electrons need to move to create a magnetic field?

Electrons have an intrinsic property called charge, which is responsible for creating both electric and magnetic fields. However, in order for the magnetic field to be created, the electrons need to be in motion. When the electrons move, their charge interacts with the magnetic field and creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor.

3. How does the strength of the magnetic field depend on the flow of electrons?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by the flow of electrons through a conductor depends on the number of electrons moving and the speed at which they are moving. The more electrons that are moving and the faster they are moving, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. Is the direction of the magnetic field always the same as the direction of electron flow?

No, the direction of the magnetic field created by the flow of electrons in a conductor is perpendicular to the direction of electron flow. This means that the magnetic field will form circles around the conductor, rather than following the same path as the electrons.

5. Can the flow of electrons through a conductor be used to control the strength of the magnetic field?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can be controlled by changing the flow of electrons through the conductor. This is the principle behind electromagnets, where the strength of the magnetic field can be increased or decreased by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the conductor.