1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Gauss's law works when charge enclosed is not uniform?

Tags:
  1. Feb 28, 2015 #1

Jae

This problem has charge that is not uniform in the inside, but it is still possible to find the electric field as a function of distance outside the slab using Gauss's law. How is this possible if the electric field is not uniform in the slab and plane? Wouldn't the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d be different on both sides?

Once I did Gauss's law I got a correct solution of
    (sigma + row_E) / 2(epsilon naught)

phyQuestion.JPG

Thank you for answering this question.

Mentor's Note: Thread moved to Advanced Physics Homework from another forum, hence the lack of a template.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss law has no restriction to uniform charge distributions. The electric field found doesn't have to be uniform either. Why do you think it would have to be ?

What do you mean with "the electric field from the middle of the slab to the a x-distance d" ?

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3

Jae

If Gauss's law calculates the net electric flux. I don't understand how it's possible that calculating the electric field if the surface does not have a uniform field.
    I made a typo. I mean to say the x-direction from the middle of the slab. Sorry.

Thank you for helping.

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss's Law only finds the total flux through a closed surface.

If there is sufficient symmetry present, then it may be possible to determine the electric field on some portion of the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted