Why is 100% efficient thermal insulator impossible?

In summary, somebody told me this and I have yet to figure out even if the statement is true or not.Because if it could be done, you could stop entropy. Which you can't.
linux kid
Somebody told me this and I have yet to figure out even if the statement is true or not.

Science news on Phys.org
Because if it could be done, you could stop entropy. Which you can't.

Even if you could stop conduction of heat, how would you stop a body from radiating heat?

If u can stop entropy its lik saying u cud stop time.SO i guess its not possible

anantchowdhary said:
If u can stop entropy its lik saying u cud stop time.SO i guess its not possible

Translation: If you can stop entropy it's like saying you could stop time, so I guess it's not possible.

Stop entropy? What does that mean?
linux kid said:
Why is 100% efficient thermal insulator impossible?

Somebody told me this and I have yet to figure out even if the statement is true or not.
If the question was, is there such a thing as a perfect insulator (i.e., has zero thermal conductivity), then the answer is "yes, a vacuum". Of course, you can't make a true vacuum, nor does a vacuum prevent radiation.

I like to look at such questions backwards: how could you make a perfect insulator? There are 3 types of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation...

As Gokul said, a vacuum will stop conduction and convection completely, but we can't make a perfect vacuum and even if you could, you'd have to support the structure with something. So you can't completely eliminate either conduction or convection in a device (though you can eliminate conduction between objects that aren't touching. But you can get either well above 99%.

Stopping radiation is much more difficult than stopping either conduction or convection because it requires a perfect mirror that is perfect at all frequencies of radiation. And though you can get mirrors at in exess of 99% reflectance, the frequency range is limited.

Gokul43201 said:
then the answer is "yes, a vacuum". Of course, you can't make a true vacuum, nor does a vacuum prevent radiation.

Since a vacuum doesn't prevent radiation, how does that make it a perfect insulator?

It doesn't because it does not prevent readiation as gokul said.

But this perfect vacuum must exist a place farther away than light has reached since bing bang? Because if no radiation or mass have reached the point, nothing can be there.

1. Why is it impossible to create a thermal insulator with 100% efficiency?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that heat will always flow from a hotter object to a cooler object, and it is impossible to completely stop this flow. Therefore, it is impossible to create a thermal insulator with 100% efficiency.

2. Can't we just use a material with low thermal conductivity to create a 100% efficient thermal insulator?

While materials with low thermal conductivity can slow down the rate of heat transfer, they cannot completely stop it. Additionally, these materials are often impractical to use as they may be expensive, fragile, or have other limitations.

3. Is it possible to improve the efficiency of thermal insulators to be closer to 100%?

Scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new materials and technologies to improve the efficiency of thermal insulation. However, due to the fundamental principles of thermodynamics, it is unlikely that a 100% efficient thermal insulator will ever be possible.

4. Why do some materials have better insulating properties than others?

The efficiency of a thermal insulator depends on its ability to trap air pockets within its structure. Materials with a lower density or more porous structure, such as foam or fiberglass, are better at trapping air and therefore have better insulating properties.

5. Can we use vacuum as a thermal insulator to achieve 100% efficiency?

A vacuum is often considered an ideal insulator as it contains no particles to transfer heat. However, it is impossible to maintain a perfect vacuum as there will always be some residual particles present. Additionally, creating and maintaining a vacuum is energy-intensive and impractical for most applications.