Why is Calc II required for Linear Algebra?

In summary, the requirement for Calculus II in order to take Linear Algebra may be because Linear Algebra does not really require calculus II topics. It is possible that if you do not take Calc II, your university may not allow you to take the course.
QuarkCharmer
My university (as well as many others I suspect) require Calculus II before Linear Algebra. I was wondering exactly why that is? I am lead to believe that Linear Algebra does not really require Calc II topics at all. I am taking Calc II through the whole summer, and LA is offered for the second half, so I will essentially take it having been through 1/2 of Calc II. Do you think my department would give this the OK? Or not worth asking?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends how far the linear algebra course goes.

If you stick to finite dimensional vector spaces with Rn as a typical example, then you are probalbly right, you don't need much calculus.

On the other hand if you go on to consider infinite dimensional spaces of functions, you definitely need some serious calculus.

I'm not in the US so I don't know what a " typical" Lin Alg course consists of. The contents may be different if the course is meant for mathematicians, physicists, or engineers.

I've been told by a math prof that it's because calc I & II are for getting used to university mathematics and that a freshman jumping into a linear algebra course is often overwhelmed by it.

I saw this while in first year engineering because we had to take a linear algebra course in the second semester (so after calc I, but at the same time as calc II). It really isn't like any other math course that we had taken. I think around a third of the class dropped it, a couple more failed, and most students were in the C range. These were students that were getting primarily A's in all their other classes.

Yea I think its more for the mathematical maturity at the level of calc 2 rather than knowing calc 2. In fact most upper level math classes at my uni have a prereq of "any class at or above the level of calculus 2" in addition to other prereqs.

This is the course I am talking about, it's the intro to linear algebra.
http://www.math.ucf.edu/syllabi/Spring2008/mas3105.L03.pdf

The other linear algebra requires a proof-based mathematics course and this one as a prerequisite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm weird. In my university calculus II and linear algebra are 2nd semester courses and therefore are taken simultaneously. I really have no idea why calculus 2 would be a requirement for an intro to linear algebra...

It helps to have examples, so that the subject doesn't just become a glorified way of solving systems of equations.

Normally when I think "Calculus II", I think one-variable integration and infinite series. But it looks like your course covers "analytic geometry". The plan may be to spend a lot of time on applications of linear algebra to coordinate geometry.

Of course, the best way to get the best answer would be to ask someone at your university. :tongue:

For me Calc II boosted my mathematical maturity more than Calc I and Calc III combined and its all because of the substitutions. I went through every u, trig, and generalized substitution problem in the book and it significantly increased my ability to move from algebraic expression to algebraic expression easily and seamlessly allowing me to look at the bigger picture.

Looking at the big picture will help a lot in linear algebra as well as any proof based course, especially if you do not have to spend much time and energy on changing algebraic expressions around to suit your needs.

Of course making linear algebra a prerequisite of Calc III would make Calc III a much better course, allowing us to go into higher than 3 dimensional calculus without that much extra effort. Unfortunately that doesn't happen at my university, but there are a few universities that have an honors track that puts linear algebra before multi variable calculus, and I am very sad I didn't get to take those courses.

Last edited:

1. Why is Calculus II a prerequisite for Linear Algebra?

Calculus II is often required for Linear Algebra because it introduces students to more complex mathematical concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. These concepts are fundamental in understanding the concepts of vectors, matrices, and transformations that are used in Linear Algebra.

2. Can't I just take Linear Algebra without taking Calculus II?

While it is possible to learn Linear Algebra without taking Calculus II, it is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in Calculus before delving into Linear Algebra. Many of the concepts in Linear Algebra build upon the concepts learned in Calculus II, so having a solid understanding of Calculus will make it easier to grasp the material in Linear Algebra.

3. Is Calculus II specifically required or can I take any other math course?

Typically, Calculus II is specifically required for Linear Algebra. This is because the topics covered in Calculus II are directly related to the concepts and techniques used in Linear Algebra. However, some universities may accept other advanced math courses as a substitute for Calculus II, so it is important to check with your specific institution for their requirements.

4. I struggled with Calculus I, will I struggle with Calculus II and Linear Algebra?

It is possible that if you struggled with Calculus I, you may also struggle with Calculus II and Linear Algebra. However, it is not necessarily a guarantee. Linear Algebra has its own set of concepts and techniques that may be easier for some students to grasp. It is important to seek help and practice regularly if you are struggling with any math course.

5. How will Calculus II help me in my future studies or career?

Calculus II is a foundational course for many fields of study, including engineering, physics, and computer science. It helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many different areas. Additionally, understanding the concepts and techniques in Calculus II can make it easier to learn and apply more advanced math courses in the future.