Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is changing direction called accelerating?

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    I understand that in form of vectors but conceptually speaking, I don't get it.

Btw, why do accelerating charges emit energy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the definition of the acceleration vector,
    when, as time evolves,
    there is a change in the velocity-vector [either in magnitude, in direction, or in both],
    then there is a nonzero acceleration-vector.
  4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
    In english?
  5. Sep 15, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An acceleration is a change in velocity. So, as robphy says, when there is a change in the velocity (either its direction or its magnitude) then there is a non-zero acceleration.
  6. Sep 15, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A change in direction of velocity is still a change in velocity, so there has to be an acceleration.
  7. Sep 15, 2007 #6
    You can also think about it in terms of Newton's 1st law - without forces (which means accelerations, by the 2nd law, i.e. F=ma) things move in straight lines (or not at all). Therefore, if you're changing your direction of motion, you must be under the influence of a net force and therefore accelerating.

If you doubt this, consider the reaction to acceleration: you get thrown back in the opposite direction. So, if you accelerate forward in a car, you get thrown back against the seat, but if you take a sudden turn without changing speed, you get thrown to the side. Both cases are responses to acceleration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?