Why Is Ethylene Planar?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter alingy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the conversation discusses the planarity of ethylene and why it is necessary for the pi bond to be oriented in a specific way for orbital overlap. The use of a simple molecular model is recommended to understand the stability of a planar ethylene molecule. The question of why this is necessary is raised, especially in comparison to higher analogues that are not planar.
alingy1

Homework Statement

I just had my textbook tell me ethylene is a planar molecule. Not wanting to regurgigate crammed information, I'm trying to understand why the molecule has to be planar. Why can't two hydrogen atons located on one side be oriented in a perpendicular way to the two other hydrogen atoms located on the other side? I don't see why this model wouldn't be more stable.

Homework Equations

Theory of orbitals.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pi bond must be oriented in a certain way for there to be orbital overlap. That and a simple molecular model will demonstrate to you why ethylene is planar

Good question, especially in view of the fact that the higher analogues (with Si or Ge in place of C) aren't planar.

FAQ: Why Is Ethylene Planar?

1. Why is ethylene a planar molecule?

Ethylene is a planar molecule because it contains a double bond between the two carbon atoms. This double bond restricts the rotation of the atoms, forcing them to stay in a flat, planar arrangement.

2. How does the double bond in ethylene contribute to its planar structure?

The double bond in ethylene consists of one sigma bond and one pi bond. The pi bond is formed by the overlap of two p orbitals, which are perpendicular to the plane of the molecule. This pi bond prevents the rotation of the atoms, leading to a planar structure.

3. What is the significance of ethylene's planar structure?

The planar structure of ethylene allows for efficient delocalization of electrons, making it a highly stable molecule. It also allows for easy formation of bonds with other molecules, making it a versatile building block in organic chemistry reactions.

4. Can ethylene exist in a non-planar form?

While ethylene is most commonly found in its planar form, it is possible for it to exist in a non-planar form. This can occur when bulky substituents are attached to the carbon atoms, preventing them from rotating into the planar arrangement.

5. How does the planarity of ethylene affect its physical properties?

The planarity of ethylene leads to a symmetrical distribution of charge, making it a non-polar molecule. This results in low melting and boiling points, as well as low solubility in polar solvents. It also gives ethylene a high degree of rigidity, making it a useful molecule in polymerization reactions.