Why is friction going this way?

• Thread starter eurekameh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction in relation to the motion of a fork lift and its wheels. While there is no friction at wheel B because it is free to roll, wheel A has friction acting towards the right to prevent slipping of the tire surface. The direction of friction is determined by the need to prevent the wheel from spinning or slipping.
eurekameh
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/unledtiw.png/

There's no friction at wheel B because it is free to roll. But why is friction going toward the right at wheel A? It makes sense, considering that forces should balance and thus it should balance the P force, but I would imagine it's to the left, tending to oppose the motion of the fork lift going to the right.

Physics news on Phys.org
eurekameh said:
but I would imagine it's to the left, tending to oppose the motion of the fork lift going to the right.
Friction acts to oppose slipping between surfaces. Since wheel A is turning clockwise, the tire surface would tend to slip towards the rear, thus the friction acts forward to prevent such slipping.

Why doesn't wheel B have friction then?

eurekameh said:

There's no friction at wheel B because it is free to roll. But why is friction going toward the right at wheel A? It makes sense, considering that forces should balance and thus it should balance the P force, but I would imagine it's to the left, tending to oppose the motion of the fork lift going to the right.

I hate it when following links to images people post, my computer is about to go to an on-line poker game.
imageshack.us is notorious for this. Certainly no way to load up a picture anyone wants me to look at.

eurekameh said:

Suppose there was no friction. The wheel would then spin, if it was a driven wheel, or slip along if it was a supporting wheel.
The friction force will be in what ever direction is needs to prevent the wheel spinning - if it is a driven wheel - or slipping - if it is a support wheel.

1. Why is friction going in the opposite direction of motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces. When an object is moving, the frictional force acts in the opposite direction to slow it down. This is due to the contact between the two surfaces causing resistance and converting some of the kinetic energy into heat.

2. What factors affect the direction of friction?

The direction of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. These factors can impact the amount of frictional force and the direction in which it acts.

3. Can friction ever act in the same direction as motion?

Yes, in certain situations, friction can act in the same direction as motion. This is known as rolling friction and occurs when an object is rolling over a surface. In this case, the frictional force helps to maintain the object's motion by providing a gripping force.

4. Why is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our daily activities, such as walking, driving, and writing. Without friction, we would not be able to walk without slipping, drive a car, or even hold a pencil. It also helps to slow down moving objects, preventing them from sliding or skidding out of control.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. Smoothing the surfaces, such as polishing or using ball bearings, can also reduce friction. Additionally, reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can decrease frictional force.