Why is iron added to the head of a match?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ORF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Head Iron Match
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ORF
Messages
169
Reaction score
19
Hello,

The explanation for this, min 0:54


is that you have Fe2O3 in the match head, and after burning it, pure iron is obtained
2 Fe2O3 + 3 C -> 2 Fe + 3 CO2

I think the chemical explanation is fine, but I don't understand why Fe2O3 is added (as colorant, if the red phosphorus is already red).

Q: Why is iron added to the head of a match?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I just tried it with an ordinary wooden match and it wasn't magnetic after burning.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TeethWhitener