Why is it difficult to determine the center of a Newton's ring pattern?

In summary, it is not possible to accurately determine the position of the center of a Newton's ring pattern because the center is an extended circle rather than a point. While it is not impossible to locate the exact center, it is more difficult compared to determining the marker on the other side of the ring due to the small thickness of the rings. This makes it easier to locate the center on the thickness.
ft92
can anyone please explain to me why it's not possible to determine accurately the position of a centre of a Newton's ring pattern? I know that in a Newton's ring only the distance between one side of the ring to the other i.e. the diameter can be accurately determined, not the distance from the centre of the pattern i.e. the radius. why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it's because what you have in the center is not a point, instead it's an extended circle. It's not impossible to locate the exact center of this circle, it's just more difficult than locating the marker on the other side of the same ring because these rings have small thickness, hence easier to pick the center on the thickness. I hope I convey my message well.

What is Newton's ring experiment?

Newton's ring experiment is an optical experiment that demonstrates the phenomenon of interference between light waves. It involves placing a convex lens on top of a flat glass surface, creating a thin layer of air between them. When light is shone through this setup, a series of concentric rings are observed due to the interference of light waves.

What is the purpose of Newton's ring experiment?

The purpose of Newton's ring experiment is to demonstrate the phenomenon of interference and to study the properties of light. It also allows for the measurement of the radius of curvature of the lens and the wavelength of light used.

What are the materials required for Newton's ring experiment?

The materials required for Newton's ring experiment include a source of monochromatic light (such as a laser or sodium lamp), a plano-convex lens, a flat glass surface, a microscope or magnifying glass, and a ruler or measuring device.

How does Newton's ring experiment work?

In Newton's ring experiment, when light is shone through the setup, some of it is reflected and some is transmitted through the thin layer of air between the lens and glass. This creates two interfering light waves, resulting in the observed pattern of concentric rings. The spacing between the rings can be used to calculate the radius of curvature of the lens and the wavelength of light.

What are the applications of Newton's ring experiment?

Newton's ring experiment has various applications in the field of optics, such as measuring the thickness of thin films, testing the quality of lenses, and studying the properties of light. It also has applications in interferometry and metrology, which are used in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and nanotechnology.