Why Is the Center of Newton's Rings Dark?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sheld
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Why the center of Newton's ring is dark? though I am thinking the path difference in the center is zero between two reflected rays...
so,I will be glad if you give the correct information about that...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the surfaces are in contact the path difference in the middle is zero. If you move them slightly apart you can change this.
 
sheld said:
Why the center of Newton's ring is dark? though I am thinking the path difference in the center is zero between two reflected rays...
so,I will be glad if u give the correct information about that...
The phase difference between the two reflected ways counts, and it is not zero, even in the case when the path difference --->0.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sheld