Why is Latex pronounced as "Latec"?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Zack K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: So, LaTeX is pronounced "lah-TEHK", but you're allowed to pronounce it however you want so long as you don't call it "L.A.Tehk".
Zack K
I've always pronounced it as its spell. It seems weird that you pronounce the x as a c/k.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the thing that looks like an X is supposed to be a Greek letter ##\chi##, which has a hard 'k' sound rather than 'ks'.

Read more about it here.

Likes Zack K and Greg Bernhardt
andrewkirk said:
Read more about it here.
There is a link in there to a conference Knuth gave in 2010 using hand-written transparencies!

andrewkirk said:
Because the thing that looks like an X is supposed to be a Greek letter ##\chi##, which has a hard 'k' sound rather than 'ks'.

Read more about it here.
Thanks, I started to doubt that I pronounced it wrong all the years, since I pronounce it with a ##\chi## which in Greek is neither ##k## nor ##x##.
[çi:]

"Latex" is pronounced "LAY-tex". [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], however, is pronounced "lah-TEHK".

Vanadium 50 said:
"Latex" is pronounced "LAY-tex". [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], however, is pronounced "lah-TEHK".
Sure it shouldn't be L.A.Tehk?

Vanadium 50 said:

I have never heard LaTeX pronounced "lah-TEHK". Nearly everyone I've ever worked with pronounced it "LAY-tehk". In fact, the post by @andrewkirk above gives an explanation regarding pronunciation, and the link he's provided confirms my own observations.

fresh_42 said:
Sure it shouldn't be L.A.Tehk?
Sure! Leslie Lamport said he doesn't care how you pronounce it, so long that it is not "L.A."

Why is X pronounced 'its own way unrelated to anything else' is a question that can be asked about every second English word.

Likes Klystron and fresh_42
Borek said:
Why is X pronounced 'its own way unrelated to anything else' is a question that can be asked about every second English word.
Clearly, X (in the English language) is a variable and can be replaced with a variety of different sounds.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Klystron
BillTre said:
Clearly, X (in the English language) is a variable and can be replaced with a variety of different sounds.
But ##\chi## equals (which - t - wh - i).

Pronounce a neologism how you prefer. Understanding then becomes a problem for your audience. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Appending a Greek letter to a Latin-sounding prefix makes for an interesting logo but the answer to your question could be: pronounce the word as the people around you do to the best of your ability.

Personally, I treat the Chi as an x and (mis)-pronounce the neologism as I would the x in the word 'text' with a long a in the first syllable. Lay-tex like the older commercial name for acrylic paint (latex).

Likes Klystron
jedishrfu said:
There's another part of the story...[snip]...and latex is a paint...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX
Vindication of my pronunciation at the third level of analysis; extract from @jedishrfu link with my bold text:

"The characters T, E, X in the name come from the Greek capital letters tau, epsilon, and chi, as the name of TeX derives from the Greek: τέχνη (skill, art, technique); for this reason, TeX's creator Donald Knuth promotes a pronunciation of /tɛx/ (tekh)[15] (that is, with a voiceless velar fricative as in Modern Greek, similar to the ch in loch). Lamport writes "TeX is usually pronounced tech, making lah-teck, lah-teck, and lay-teck the logical choices; but language is not always logical, so lay-tecks is also possible."

1. Why is Latex pronounced as "Latec" instead of "Laytex"?

The pronunciation of Latex as "Latec" is due to the origin of the word. It comes from the Greek word "látex" which is pronounced with a hard "c" sound. As the word entered the English language, the pronunciation was kept consistent with its original form.

2. Is "Latec" the correct pronunciation of Latex?

Yes, "Latec" is the commonly accepted pronunciation of Latex in the scientific and academic community. However, some may still pronounce it as "Laytex" due to the English language's tendency to pronounce words with silent letters differently.

3. Are there any other words that are pronounced similarly to Latex?

Yes, there are several other words in the English language that are pronounced with a soft "x" sound, such as "phoenix," "alexandrite," and "apex." These words also have Greek origins.

4. Can the pronunciation of Latex change over time?

While it is possible for the pronunciation of words to change over time, it is unlikely that the pronunciation of Latex will change significantly in the near future. The current pronunciation has been established for many years and is widely accepted.

5. Is there a specific reason why Latex is pronounced differently from other words with "ex" in them?

The pronunciation of Latex is unique because it maintains the original pronunciation from the Greek word "látex." In contrast, other words with "ex" may have different pronunciations due to the evolution of the English language over time.