Why is milk smoother and flatter than water?

In summary: The speckles become less visible (maybe smaller?) when the surface is smooth and that is especially the case with milk. Skim milk appears slightly blue because casein micelles scatter the shorter wavelengths of visible light (blue) more than the red.
Jorgen1224
I have conducted an experiment involving projecting a laser beam onto a surface and observing speckles that move relative to us. Those speckles become less visible (maybe smaller?) when the surface is smooth and that is especially the case with milk. I have dyed milk and water to see whether in both of these substances speckles appear and they do, but only in a sample with water. They are barely visible, but everyone in my group agrees that they are still apparent and we don't understand why.There is not a lot of information about these aspects of milk on the internet yet I found this "Skim milk appears slightly blue because casein micelles scatter the shorter wavelengths of visible light (blue) more than the red." [https://www.uoguelph.ca/foodscience/book-page/physical-properties-milk].

Milk was 3.2% fat
Laser: 532nm and about 100mW
I used black fabric dye and made sure that it mixed well. While it made water totally black, milk became dark blue.

I posted it here since I'm not sure whether it's more about optics or particle physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The molecules in milk, mostly fat, are much more complicated than water molecules. They wrap together and link together much more than water molecules.

I'm not convinced this is a fair test.
I'm not convinced that dyed water is equivalent to dyed milk in terms of the conditions being tested.

Just one spurious example: I'll bet the specific gravity of the water is not the same as the milk.

You could repeat the experiment, and refine the conditions, eliminating confounding factors until you found one factor that is the crux. As HoI suggests, the proteins and fats are likely the cause.

I'm also not convinced that your conclusion about "flatness" makes sense. But maybe I don't understand your setup. Are the speckles you refer to reflections off the surface?

Jorgen1224 said:
I have dyed milk and water to see whether in both of these substances speckles appear and they do, but only in a sample with water.

That is not at all clear.

1. Why does milk have a smoother texture than water?

Milk contains fat molecules that surround and coat the water molecules, giving it a smoother texture. Water, on the other hand, does not contain any fat molecules and therefore has a more watery and less smooth texture.

2. Is milk less dense than water?

No, milk is actually slightly more dense than water. This is because milk contains other components such as proteins and minerals, in addition to water, which contribute to its overall density.

3. Why does milk have a flatter surface than water?

Milk has a flatter surface than water because it contains surface-active agents, such as proteins and fats, that reduce the surface tension of the liquid. This results in a flatter surface compared to water, which has a higher surface tension.

4. Does the temperature of milk affect its smoothness and flatness?

Yes, the temperature of milk can affect its smoothness and flatness. When milk is heated, the fat molecules in the milk become more fluid and can spread out more, resulting in a smoother texture. Additionally, heating milk can also decrease its surface tension, making it flatter on the surface.

5. Can the type of milk affect its smoothness and flatness?

Yes, the type of milk can affect its smoothness and flatness. Different types of milk, such as whole milk, skim milk, and almond milk, have different levels of fat content and other components, which can impact their texture and surface tension. For example, whole milk has a higher fat content and may have a smoother and flatter texture compared to skim milk.