Why is momentum referred to as 'conjugate' in physics?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter snatchingthepi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nomenclature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
snatchingthepi
Messages
145
Reaction score
37
So I'm studying for my CM final and in looking over the section on ignorable coordinates and generalized momenta I come across the definition for conjugate momentum [tex]p_{i} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_{i}}}[/tex]

My question is simple - why is it called 'conjugate'? I just never really thought to question to the name.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need a word to differentiate it from a physical momentum, I guess "generalized momentum" might also work, but the "conjugate" part comes into play more when you move to Hamilonian mechanics where your phase space coordinates are these (p,q) conjugate pairs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: snatchingthepi