Why Is My Modem Sending More Info Than It Receives?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the speaker's modem has sent significantly more information than it has received while browsing the internet. They suspect a poor phone line may be the cause, as the longer they browse, the slower their speed and the more information is sent. They are advised to check their system for viruses or trojans, and to install a program such as Zonealarm to monitor and restrict internet access for certain programs.
tribdog
What would cause my modem to send a lot more info than it receives. I've been doing some random surfing, not uploading anything, not downloading very much, just cruising the web. My modem has received about 15 Meg, but it has sent an irritating 64M. Could a poor phone line account for something like this? The longer I surf the slower I go, and the Sent info grows faster and faster.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you checked your system for viruses/trojans lately?

If you're running Windows, install Zonealarm (free). It will tell you which program(s) is(are) accessing the internet, and you will be able to selectively deny them access to the network.

There could be a few reasons for your modem to be sending more information than it receives. One possibility is that your computer or devices connected to your network are running background processes or updates that require sending data to the internet. Another possibility is that your modem is experiencing interference or connectivity issues, causing it to resend data multiple times. Additionally, a poor phone line could also contribute to this issue as it can cause data packets to be lost or corrupted, requiring them to be resent. It is important to troubleshoot and address any connectivity or hardware issues to ensure that your modem is functioning properly and not sending excessive data.

Related to Why Is My Modem Sending More Info Than It Receives?

1. What is the meaning of "What did I do this time?"

"What did I do this time?" is a commonly asked question that usually implies a sense of guilt or responsibility for a negative outcome or consequence. It can also suggest a pattern of behavior that has caused problems in the past.

2. Why do people ask "What did I do this time?"

People may ask this question because they are genuinely unaware of their actions or behavior that may have caused a negative outcome. They may also ask it as a way to deflect blame or seek reassurance from others.

3. Is "What did I do this time?" a rhetorical question?

It can be considered a rhetorical question, as the person asking it may already know or have an idea of what they did. They may be asking it as a way to express frustration or acknowledge their own mistakes.

4. How can "What did I do this time?" be addressed in a productive manner?

To address this question in a productive manner, it is important to approach it with empathy and open communication. Acknowledge the person's feelings and try to understand their perspective. Then, calmly discuss the situation and try to find a solution or compromise.

5. What are some possible responses to "What did I do this time?"

Possible responses could include apologizing if you are at fault, explaining your actions if you are not aware of doing anything wrong, asking for clarification on the situation, or discussing the issue in a calm and respectful manner.