Why is resistance defined as V/I and not I/V?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sreerajt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Resistance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
sreerajt
Messages
39
Reaction score
1
Voltage(V) is proportional to current(I). And so V=(a constant)*I. That constant is known as resistance(R), where R=V/I. Why can't we write that I proportional to V and then write R=I/V??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sreerajt said:
Voltage(V) is proportional to current(I). And so V=(a constant)*I. That constant is known as resistance(R), where R=V/I. Why can't we write that I proportional to V and then write R=I/V??
We write G=I/V
and the units of G used to be known as mhos (that's Ohms spelled backwards) with symbol an upsidedown Ω (omega).

Nowadays, the units have been renamed an uninteresting "siemens". :frown:
 
Because that is not the reality? I know VR != I. If that were the case, current would increase with resistance. Which completely disagrees with our current definition of resistance!

EDIT:
Oh, I misinterpreted your post. Well, yes, of course you could. But R would be a different quantity, as the right side of the equation implies.
 
Last edited:
Resistance (R) is DEFINED to be what it is. There is no "reason" for it, it is just a convention.

And again, the quantity I/V already has a name of its own: conductance (G), which has the units of Siemens.
 
Thanks f95toli.. i think your answer is quite satisfying for me...