Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor in v-i graph

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor (lamp) in v-i graph given a voltage?
    I thought it would be the gradiant for specific voltages.
    But apparentlly it is the ratio of the specific voltage/current which makes sence too.
    So what is the correct out of the two?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    is voltage on the x axis and current on the y or the other way around .
    if voltage is on the x axis then the slope of that line would be 1/R
    if current is on the x axis then the slope of that line would be R
    using I=V/R

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. Jun 9, 2010 #3
    For a non-ohmic resistor, the ratio V/I is not necessarily the same as the slope of the curve.

If y = x^2, then x = 3 implies y = 9 so y/x = 3, but dy/dx = 6.

Since resistance is defined via Ohm's law the resistance is the ratio, not the slope.

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I'm understanding which one you are promoting, but the impedance is definitely the slope of the line:

Z = dV/dI

This is used all the time in circuit analysis.

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    I was arguing on the opposite side. I'm not an expert on electronics, so I defer to you. Is there a difference between impedance and resistance? I was thinking in terms of DC voltage.

7. Jun 9, 2010 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If all the components are resistors, then impedance = resistance.

If some of the components are non-liinear (like diodes for example), then impedance = Z = dV/dI, and it is still real.

If some of the coponents are reactive (inductors and capacitors), then you get a complex Z = dV/dI, with real and imaginary (in-phase and quadrature-phase) components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook